Shared space

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rosebuddie7, Aug 10, 2017.

1. rosebuddie7

rosebuddie7 New Member

Aug 10, 2017

I have great opportunity to move to new school, new grade level, new town. I'm getting very excited about the upcoming year, despite a tedious paperwork process, key card issue, and miscommunications. I finally got a chance to see my work space & plan how I'd like to use the space for students. I've met my leader & a few colleagues, while hearing positives about the area, the school, & parent community.

Here's the problem....After cleaning, moving furniture, and setting up the majority of my space, I've learned my storage area was promised to another teacher....in another grade, with a different schedule. The leader says it'd be ideal to share (other teacher would want to put her fridge, microwave, personal things, games, etc)

What do I do? I'm the new kid in the block....I don't want to start year with colleague problems, but I need the space myself. Plus, how would sharing the space work?!! Would she be permitted to come as she pleases? I'd appreciate any advice!!

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Rookie

Aug 10, 2017

Is the storage area actually part of your classroom, or is it a different area altogether? If it's separate, can't you just keep stuff in your classroom? How much extra storage space do you really need? I wouldn't make too many waves your first year.

4. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

Storage space? Tell me what this mystical thing is! We have a room in the basement of our school where we can shove things until they mold and get tossed out. To have a nice storage space would be heaven. Is this an office? If someone is adding coffee, a frig, and microwave, it sounds pretty nice.

I agree with TrademarkTer, as a new person, maybe wait and see what the situation is before saying much. Remember, a lot of teachers don't have this. Even traveling teachers at my school get NO space at all. (So they are going from school to school or on a cart at a school and really have no where to put their stuff.)

5. rosebuddie7

rosebuddie7 New Member

Aug 11, 2017

I am very grateful for the space. I struggled for many years at another school with nothing! I know I am fortunate, too.

6. rosebuddie7

rosebuddie7 New Member

Aug 11, 2017

The shared space is within the confines of my classroom area. My understanding is other rooms may have limited space.

7. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2017

If your principal told you to share, then you share with a smile. It's storage space--this wouldn't be the hill I would choose to die on.

DressageLady and bella84 like this.
  8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 11, 2017

Just share. I technically share my room with 2 other people. It forced me to really consider what I ACTUALLY need. I'm betting you can get rid of some stuff and make room.

Have a great year!

bella84 and rosebuddie7 like this.
  9. rosebuddie7

rosebuddie7 New Member

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for advice.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM

My only question is whether or not there is a door between storage and classroom? Obviously, even at the HS level, you can't trust them to stay out of things that shouldn't concern them. I have been in a similar situation, and you just have to assume that the other teacher is going to be considerate while students are in the room. If that doesn't turn out to be true, well, that is a very different matter.

2ndTimeAround likes this.