Share your daily schedule Multi Needs Teachers

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I think I am trying to fit too much into my day. I was at an Institute day meeting yesterday and they brought in some speakers from a school in Chicago that only has children with autism. They said that 70% of the day should be scheduled and the other 30% should be unstructured. That seems like a lot of free time to me. I see the need, but feel like if they aren't working and someone walks in they are going to think we don't do anything in my room.

Here is what I have going:

Off bus, lockers, bathroom
    Morning meeting groups
    Reading groups
    Snack
    Cooking activities
    Class Jobs/Building Jobs
    Pre Vocational Jobs
    Communication Activity groups
    Lunch
    bathroom/hygine activities/rec/leisure
    adapted Pe
    Math Activities
    Individual work tasks/IEP work
    Get Ready to go home/bathroom/bus

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

Off bus (or parent drop off), unpacking, morning routines (each student has an individualized flip book - tasks are dependent on ability)

Morning Meeting Time (whole group)

Individual Programming Time - For my students with physical needs this is when stretches and weight bearing exercises and standing frames are done. For my students on the spectrum this is seated work - mostly language arts focused.

Snack and Leisure/Recess (total of a half hour)

Individual Programming Time - Physical Group is switch/access training, communication and news-2-you activities (eye gaze to pictures for answers). My other group about half academics and half life skills (several students are on lunch programs where they make their own lunchs).

Lunch and Leisure/Recess (total of one hour)

One of my students leaves at this time and does assisted community placements in the afternoon.

Group Time - Religion 2 times/week, Cooking 1 time/week and Arts & Crafts 1 time/week

Individual Programming Time - for my kids that have not had morning stretches this is used for fitness (running, obstacle course, ball skills...etc.). For my two girls this is girl time (magazines, hair, nails, crafting...etc.) with a focus on communication. For a couple other students it is mobility time as they are working on power chairs.

End of Day Routines - agian each student has their own flip book. One of the pages is their assigned job with a velcro card. They do daily debriefing and money exchange (earn pennies throughout the day and exchange for higher amounts at end of day - we have a student store once a month - they also get immediate choice reinforcers after 1 to 10 tokens during work sessions) as well as end of day communication books outlining what they did today. I'm adding in a schedule thing where they return used schedule items to their book (thanks teachersk).

They then have about 15-20 minutes of "free time" while waiting for the bus - some have a snack and some do other independent activities.

Our students are at the school from 8:45-2:45 (6 hours) and if you include eating times they have 1.75 hours of non-work time plus the fitness/stretching time. 1.75/6 is about 29% so I'm pretty close to what they were saying in this workshop :).

We are also looking at going swimming one afternoon a week.

Hmmmm... now I'm thinking our program might be a bit leisure heavy - lol.

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

do your elementary aged students get to go out on the playground with the other students?

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

Elementary aged students go on playground during the regular recess times (that is where I put leisure/recess). Some of our older students still choose to go on the playground during that time (as it is their leisure choice time). Our younger students (and even some of our older students also go out for different classes in the school - it is very student dependent. Our little guy in grade 1 spends pretty much the whole morning with the grade 1 class. Our student in grade 4 joins them for gym, music and drama. It is very student dependent. We have students who are highschool age who join in some of the fine arts options (black lights, pottery...etc.) as well - our school is a fine arts focused school so we have some neat stuff going on. We also have students from the highschool that is a couple of blocks away that come to our room to do things with the students. It would be nice to have more exposure to same aged peers for these students but its not the way it works so I just have to try to work around it.

6. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I think that they might have meant 30 percent of the day should be (semi-structured) leisure time? Like, not completely unstructured so they can do whatever they want, but time that is scheduled in the students' day to engage in a special interest/favorite activity. For example, after a 15 minute language arts period, a kid might get 5 minutes to read about or draw pictures of racecars (or whatever they like). So many of my kids work sooooooo hard to pay attention, remember social rules, do work that is hard for them, engage with peers, etc. that they really are just fried by 1:00! So we have a "relaxation" period after lunch (this year I'm going to try to teach them some yoga and deep breathing!) and then we have little stuff scattered throughout the day. I feel like acknowledging both their stress levels and their special interests is showing respect for them and can be a great tool to build relationships as well.

I wouldn't worry about it because I think this could also be accomplished by making sure that you have some choice/leisure time built into your activities. Students that need more can have more, students that need less can have less. Example: some students can join a group for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever they can handle and then leave for sensory/relaxation/choice/reward time or whatever.

I definitely see your concern about people walking in and thinking your kids are "not doing anything." There's so much pressure to have every minute filled up with "productive" stuff. If you have your schedule posted though, or individual schedules handy to show that they are right where they are supposed to be, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you have all your kids in leisure activities at once, (which I don't, but that's a personal preference) setting up the expectation that your staff is actively engaged with the kids is important, I think. Nothing worse than admin walking in and seeing adults chit-chatting in the corner! This is my pet peeve about recess!

7. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Sorry, that wasn't really a schedule. Just random thoughts on a schedule! I haven't exactly put my schedule together yet, b/c I am at a new building and am waiting for logistics on stuff like lunch, recess, how many paras I have, etc. But in general, mine will look a lot like yours once it gets finalized. With a relaxation (yoga) period built in.

8. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

The students in the room really only get about 10 minutes in the morning and afternoon and 25 at lunch time where its completely free choice as meal and snack time are pretty structured with a set of expectations and procedures in place.

We always work in down time between activities. Many of my students function on a token system where a certain number of tokens earns them 5 minutes of sensory or play/free time throughout their day.