Shame on you Chicago!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by mrswhatsurname, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

DITTO!
    I too am a strong conservative and I support this effort.

2. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

There was advance warning. Believe me. The sides have been negotiating since last November. There is a new state law that governs much of the negotiations. It included that we had to put in a 10 notice of our intent to strike.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

:lol:

Sorry...I've been out...you know....fighting for my children. I was up at 4:30am this morning, on the picket lines by 6:30am, and just got home at 7:00pm from the downtown rally. :|

Just to clarify some things:

Question your media. Liberal or conservative. They have been very selective about how they want to portray us and our motives. THIS IS NOT ONLY ABOUT COMPENSATION. It's not even mostly about compensation.

Second, national media is showing sound bites from one or two ****** off parents who don't support teachers and/or who "didn't know" about the strike. It has been plastered in papers, news outlets, school flyers, public chatter...basically EVERYWHERE for months. We have negotiated for 10 months. If you haven't heard about it, not sure where you've been!

They fail to show the HUNDREDS of parents who marched with us, who brought us water and snacks, who gave speeches during the rally. We got hundreds of honks today and only 2 middle fingers. :)

Parents bought what they could and distributed it:

[​IMG]

This family brought all her kids to my school at 7am and stayed the whole time...even the little one!

[​IMG]

There were so many just like her.

I feel we are overwhelmingly supported and doing the right thing. I'm sorry you don't stand with us.

[​IMG]

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

Here is the document I think you are referring to. http://www.ctunet.com/blog/text/SCSD_Report-02-16-2012-1.pdf

We have a shorter day that was recently lengthened. Prior to this year, most teachers had their "lunch break" at the end of the school day after the students left.

The "shorter" day did not provide less "academics" such as reading and math, but provided many less enrichment opportunities to the children such as libraries, PE and art.

Most of the issues are directly related to the students, but there are some laws that have been created to make it look like we only care about our pay.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

They signed up in 2011 though. I am confused by that!

6. mrswhatsurname

mrswhatsurname Rookie

Sep 10, 2012

I am assuming a "troll" is someone who posts just to start trouble. This is not who I am. Yes, I am outraged! Imagine if you went to the emergency room, and the nurses were on strike. Some of our students need us just as bad. What about the child whose father lashed out at her when he found out there was no school, because he had to call off work and miss a day of pay? You have no idea what kids go through at home. I was that child. My heart would have been broken by this; my day ruined. Kids need stability and should NEVER be put in the middle of some grown folks sh** like this. Period.

I posted once a couple years ago, I think....I was having a bad day, so of course I know teaching isn't perfect. We all have trials to go through inside and outside of the profession. I guess I won't be posting anymore, as I can see that all opinions aren't accepted on this site. Is this also how you run your classrooms?

I think I just "got it." You are the teacher "loungers." The ones my professors warned me about years ago in college.

Goodbye.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

Goodbye.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Yes good bye!
    Teachers are not babysitters...we are educators.
    Yes, home life is HORRIBLE for some students but that is entirely another issue that needs to be addressed.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

Imagine the hard working teachers and their families facing the stress and uncertainty of the work conditions these teachers have been bearing. The decision to strike is not one any bday of workers takes lightly, least of all teachers who do care and sacrifice r the students they teach...however sometimes tat sacrifice becomes too dear and it's time to ake a stand. I'm positive there are many many Chicago teachers who are heartbroken that its come to this.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

And it is exactly why we are fighting for more social workers. Currently we have 370. We have 400,000 students.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

The majority of CTU's requests have to do with student rights, not teacher rights. They are standing up for the students.
    That is why most of us are baffled by your attitude regarding the situation.

PLEASE read the link. And explain to me how 40 kindergarteners in one room benefits anyone?!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2012

And storming off in a huff rarely if ever works as a way to advance a discussion.

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

I'm still going with troll. The OP only has 9 posts, all of which are on this thread. They randomly decide to come and post on a touchy subject and then insult the members.

Troll!

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

She has one previous post where she vented about her day or duties or something. I read it earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.