Severe Seperation Anxiety

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SMC0501, Sep 5, 2015.

1. SMC0501

SMC0501 New Member

Sep 5, 2015

Hi everyone!!

I am new here and I am a future teacher. Currently, I am a preschool aide and also an after-care aid for K-5. This question is in regards to one (well two, they are twins) of my preschoolers severe separation anxiety. I know it is only day 2 of school (we started Thursday, September 3rd), but I am worried about these children.
    According to the other aide and teacher, the first day of school was horrendous. These are twins who were having extreme difficulty day one. The boy was very upset but seemed to consolable and did not cry as long (however, they trigger each other). The girl, on the other hand, cried and screamed for three straight hours(The school day is 9-2pm). As a result, I was called in for extra help. I was very unprepared for what I walked into. The poor little girl was screaming her heart out- although this time was only for about an hour/hour and a half (thanks goodness!) It broke my heart. She screamed, yelled (and at one point, you could not even hear the person next to you.) I am so concerned and if anyone has any advice or experience in such a situation, I am all ears!
    We have a three day weekend due to Labor Day and I am thinking that coming back to school on Tuesday is going to be like starting as day 1 all over again. I really would love to hear anything you guys have to say and I am thrilled to be on these forums!
    Thanks to everyone and I hope you all have a wonderful school year :)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2015

You are probably right that it will be like day 1 again after the 3 day weekend.

Some places would put them in separate classes if they are triggering each other, but one the other hand they may be comfort to each other.

Do they have a comfort item they bring from home to help relieve stress?

Is there a quiet, comfortable area they can retreat to if they are overwhelmed with books and special toys?

Do mom and dad leave pretty quickly after reassuring them?

Do you post family pictures on the bulletin board or do you make books with their family pictures? That is standard practice at many Reggio preschools.

Some places will assign 1 person to comfort them so they bond with the person and aren't inundated with too many new adults.

If they have sensory issues, don't touch them even if you want to hug or hold them.

I have found quietly singing a song you make up (like mommy loves you, mommy loves you, yes she does.....) can distract them.

Have a few special toys or items of interest that might distract them.

Have them be a special helper and distract them with tasks or chores.

Patience, patience, patience.

Quiet voices, sometimes just leaving them alone,

Hoping they bond with a friend.

Express your confidence they are capable and parents will come back.

Recordings of mom or dad singing songs, reading books, expressing their love.

Good luck.