Seriously what is up with MY TAX REFUND!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 16, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 16, 2017

I filed on February 1st, and this week I received my refund from the state of Georgia in the mail. It was supposed to be DIRECT DEPOSIT!
    I am currently awaiting my Florida income tax refund. Not sure if it will be DIRECT DEPOSIT or mail. I told my tax preparer DD for my FLORIDA AND GEORGIA refund. I am not sure why my Georgia tax refund was mailed on February 14th. I received the mail in a shorter time frame than the direct deposit that hopefully is going to my band account tomorrow!
    I called my tax preparer and she told me that she has no idea why this is happening, and that her system says Direct Deposit.

I claimed no kids and I do not qualify for EITC.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like a simple error. At least you got a refund!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 17, 2017

The Government.

At least you got your state already. Alabama more than likely won't send theirs out until summer. That is when we've received ours the past few years.

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 17, 2017

WOWWWW!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 17, 2017

Now, we got our federal already. Filed Jan 31st. Got it 10 days later. Woohoo!

7. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Feb 17, 2017

I did my taxes myself online and got twice as much back as last year (I made slightly less in 2016 than 2015 because I tutored a lot in 2015 and was paid by the school and I also got retro pay from negotiations). I finished my taxes end of January and my entire refund was deposited into my account on feb. 3rd. I owe the state a little bit but that comes out in April. I enjoy doing my own taxes for now since I have a simple financial situation and I can do them super early. Not to mention it's completely free.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2017

Do you all realize that when you get refunds you basically are overpaying government on which they are receiving growth and you are losing potential income/investment?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Feb 18, 2017

Yes but i never really know how much I'm going to get back each year (it depends on how much I make, what my deductions are that year, etc.) and I don't want to be at a point where I owe, so I'd rather get money back than owe. I also owe money to the state every year and one point I had to have payroll take more money out of my checks.