Sentence Strips & Stds

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Couple of questions:

1) What is a decent price I should be buying sentence strips at? I don't know what's expensive or not.

2) Who was the poster that said they printed out their state standards onto their sentence strips? Are you out there? :confused:

3. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I don't remember the price of sentence strips-I ordered them through school supplies-sorry. I'm not the poster you're talking about but I also post my standards on sentence strips. A lot of teachers in my school do, which is where I got the idea. They're easy to switch out and once you write them once the basic work is done. That is unless you misplace them and end up with multiplication as your math goal for 2 months :).

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

I can usually get sentence strips between $2.99 and $4.99

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

They always have some at our Dollar Tree. Can't beat $1 ;)

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

Sentence strips are probably one of the cheaper things we have to get. Some schools supply them to teachers...mine does...you can also buy word strips in various colors at the Dollar Tree. I love those!! I always buy about 6 packages at the start of the year!

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

*snicker* State Standards... that's not what I thought of when I read "STDs" in your thread title! I was thinking, what the heck do sentence strips have to do with s exually transmitted diseases!:rofl:

8. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

You can usually buy them at wal-mart after school starts cheap. They will be on clearance and be really cheap. That's when I usually buy mine. They are usually colored though.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 2, 2007

Boy we go through them like water in our classroom. We use them for so many things and the kids use them too. I would hate to be buying those out of pocket.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I agree w/ dollar tree. My best friend did her standards this way (although she used the longer strips you get at the teacher store). She then put a different color star sticker in the corner of each subject. They have lasted 5 years now.

11. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I have never done sentence strips, but I have done almost every other sized paper. Here's my guess on how to do it. Open a word docutment then go to File->Page Setup. Then what you would have to do is create a custom paper size to be whatever your sentence strip would be. Then just type as a regular word document however your page would be long and skinny. Hope this helps. I will have to try this next time I am in school. Also you would have to use the manual feed tray for your printer.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

I get the short ones at Dollar Tree. I got some wipe-off long ones at Staples. For spelling and vocab words in my pocket charts, I just print on regular paper. It works fine.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!! :rofl: :toofunny:

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

I'm going to post standards in a pocket chart too. But do I want to print them off on card stock and cut them in strips? Or write them on sentence strips? I think printing would be easier and faster, but I do think color coding them is a good idea and it would take a long of ink. Hmmmm?

15. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

:lol: Me too! I was honestly wondering what in the world sentence strips had to do with stds.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

That's what I was thinking of doing too. Write kid friendly standards onto sentence strips and color code them. Hmmm... I have my school catalogue that I order from but I'm too sick and tired to get up and get it. I do remember getting a whole colored pack pretty cheap. Around a $1.

17. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I print mine on card stock and color code them with different colors of cardstock. I tried printing on sentence strips and you can change the specs for the pages. It's a pain - especially if you are wanting to put more words on the sentence strip than you have room for! I like printing on card stock much better. I just make a word document and use the text box and make my own sentence strips - that way they are all the same size and I can fit all I want into each box without worrying about printing out of the box.

18. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I just adjusted he paper size and margins. Unfortunatley, my printer will only print up to 14". So, I used PowerPoint. Here are the directions that I used. This gets a little complicated so if you need clarification, let me know.

1. Adjust the page size you sentence strips, mine were 3" by 24", but since my printer will only go up to 14", my page size was 3" by 14". (Some printers will print longer paper, so test it out first)

2. Adjust the margins to where you want them (I did 1/4" on all sides)

3. Then I typed my specific objectives, resized the font to make it was big as would fit on the paper.

4. Ran them though the printer.

4. Now, you can just cut the sentence strip down, but I decided to use the whole strip and included the Standard and Objective number (1.3, 6.5, etc) and the general standard (I have 11 standards, each with 4 - 9 specific objectives under it). Now is where it gets complicated.

5. I created another document in PowerPoint. Set the page size to 3" by 10" (the unused portion of the strip). Set your margins.

6. Then I typed the standards and number. THEN I fliped the textbox UPSIDE DOWN. Since you have to feed in the sentence strip into the printer from the other end to print on blank side, the text needs to be upside down on the computer to be printed upright on the sentence strip.

7. Run through printer.

I'm going to attempt to put a picture of mine up here. Hope it works.

[​IMG]

19. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 3, 2007

LOL!!! I guess we texans think similarly!

I DO print out my state standards (TEKS) to make word walls. But I don't think i posted about it.

Good luck!

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Ditto!!!

21. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Okay, I missed that party but created my own. I thought strips and studs.