Seeking advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nvrbeeninthissitchb4, May 30, 2018.

1. nvrbeeninthissitchb4

nvrbeeninthissitchb4 Rookie

May 30, 2018

x

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 30, 2018

First, relax. You might get a disciplinary note in your file. He probably asked you to bring your union rep because that is protocol. When you contacted the mother, was she on your side or against you? Tell the truth and apologize for your mistake. We all make mistakes. I know it is scary, and actually I wish you had to see him before school started so you wouldn't have to deal with this all day. Hang in there okay!

4. nvrbeeninthissitchb4

May 30, 2018

Mom was on my side when I spoke to her. I have a good rapport with the parents. I do plan on apologizing to the kid. Thank you for your support. I am hoping that nothing goes into my file.

5. nvrbeeninthissitchb4

May 31, 2018

x

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 31, 2018

Hang in there! You are the moral compass so that is why we are held to such a high standard. It's over. So have a drink and count down the days. Thinking of you!

7. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

May 31, 2018

Did you actually say arse or a$$?

If it was the arse - then I guess "what the heck", "oh shoot", "jeeze", and "oh my gosh" are off the list of acceptable replacement cuss words in your building.

Three years ago, I had a parent call the P and complain that I used the word "crap" in class. My P felt it was petty but still advised me to choose a new word - to save us both the waste of time. Then it became a joke with staff. Other teachers were being funny and using the word in the teacher lounge around me. "What's that crap you're eating?" "Who's crap is on the copier?"
    Jeeze.. :)

8. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Good thing you apologized. Kids (and people in general) do take us there. I just keep all of my thoughts in my head. If there were a thought bubble above my head during working hours, oh the things people would see! ha ha!

We all make mistakes. Take it as a learning experience, and move on. If you do get something in your file, oh well. Principals have big egos and have to answer to someone else. If your next job asks about the incident, just talk about it as a learning experience.

Good luck!

9. nvrbeeninthissitchb4

Jun 1, 2018

Today, that student and his buddy were really acting up in class. They were loud, disruptive, rude, were disturbing others, and me trying to move their seats around and even move them away from others at a table of their own didn't work. They were both so behind on their work that I sent them to their guidance counselors with the assignment I wanted them to finish. They came back at the end of the period (without having finished) carrying cupcakes saying that bad behavior pays off because they were given cupcakes in the counseling office when they were sent there. Needless to say the other kids were livid and I was so disappointed in the school. I ended up writing up a referral for those students and sticking it in the vice principal's mailbox - the same one who reprimanded me for asking the kid to stop being a PITA and return to his seat. I also let my department chair know about this situation.
    I don't care if I am not tenured. This is so unacceptable.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 2, 2018

That is HORRIBLE! I cannot believe that they were just getting away with it and the adults try to let them. Good for you standing your ground!

11. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jun 2, 2018

Here is my advice and it is more on the defensive stance since in the past I have had a principal who was sincerely out to get me. Say as little as possible. I made the mistake of attempting to explain myself in the past and I somehow dug the hole even deeper. I would assume the principal already has what he/she believes to have occurred already formulated and will ask you vague questions in attempts of you exposing yourself more. Aside from that I would be truthful, but concise, and explain you did not think ass was anything worth others getting butthurt over; otherwise, you would not have said it. “Heck,” they say ass all the time on American television and it was not one of George Carlin’s list of seven words.

Furthermore, consult with your union rep (I wish my state had these) on how the both of you are going to approach this meeting beforehand.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2018

Don't even get me started on this! It seems to happen EVERYWHERE! The kids are sent off to be reprimanded or receive some consequences and yet they get some crap "heart to heart'' convo where they "promise'' to be better / do their work, whatever lies, and then are rewarded in some way for it! It's even worse when they are sent to the PRINCIPAL'S office and this happens!
    :mad::mad::mad:

Also, related to the OP's post:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Been There likes this.
  13. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Jun 4, 2018

I'd recommend taking a calm approach. When writing the word "calm" just now, I had a typo, and wrote "clam". Well, I thought, that might also be good advice. It's not easy, but "clamming up" might also be advisable. Here's my thinking, you will need support in the future, and if the counselors or VP develop bad attitudes toward you, they will be even less likely to deal efficiently in future situations. I'd recommend the Thomas Gordon approach for any staff confrontations on this matter; use a "whenever" message: when my students were seemingly rewarded for their misbehavior, they took advantage of the reward and showed it off to the rest of the class.

Here's an idea that I found amazingly helpful. When alone, (I did this at my house), I'd pretend to be teaching. I'd imagine students misbehaving or well, all kinds of potential situations, then I'd react in a productive manner to the pretend situations. It's kind of like a fire drill; it's only a pretend fire, but the drill prepares the brain for automatic reactions in case of a real emergency. Same thing with playing school; it put my brain on autopilot so that my lower brain would react more productively until my upper brain had time to catch up and think more logically.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Jun 4, 2018

Did the guidance counselors know why you were sending them down though?

15. nvrbeeninthissitchb4

Jun 7, 2018

How can I erase this thread and my account?