See my classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maestraraven96, Jul 7, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

I just got a job offer and accepted. The school is currently in a summer school program until the first week of August or so. When and how do I ask about seeing my classroom? (First year teacher here). I saw this posted somewhere else, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

Just email the principal and express your excitement for the position. Ask if there is a time that would be good for you to stop by and see the classroom before you officially begin the job.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jul 7, 2018

I'm wondering the same thing. The only thing my school sent me so far is a list of standards/a pacing guide. I don't want to be annoying but I definitely want to see my classroom and receive any curricular resources soon.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

Have you asked to see your classroom? It’s possible that they’re doing summer cleaning right now and don’t want you to come yet. My AP sent out an email last week asking all staff to stay away for awhile, now that summer school is over and the custodians are cleaning. She said we’ll get another email when it’s okay to come back. That email usually comes mid to late July. When I first started there, I asked to see the room while I was there meeting with the P and AP in late July. They told me that we couldn’t get down the hallway because the custodians had just waxed the floor.

The only time I have ever been given curricular resources before beginning was when I started a position mid-year. They gave me some things to look at over winter break so that I’d be ready to start in January. For every other position, I’ve always been introduced to curriculum and resources during new teacher orientation.

I’d recommend just doing your best to be patient and waiting until closer to the school year begins before you ask again.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

When (date wise) do teachers normally start decorating their rooms?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

That varies a lot by district. My room is already finished. I finished it last week. Worked a few hours here and there for three days. Done. Open house is July 30th. I don't like to feel rushed to get my room ready, so I always go in as soon as my room is finished and work. Typically late June or early July is best for me because the room is ready, and they haven't started on hallways yet.

Email them and ask if you can at least come see your room. That way you can get measurements and photos so you can start doing things at home if you want.

8. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 7, 2018

It depends. I have twice gotten totally empty rooms that have never been classrooms-though one was an occupational therapy storage room/OT office so it gifted me nothing and I had about 5 hours of work clearing it out. I had to do a whole lot more work to get a blank canvas up and running than it takes to walk into an established classroom and just change out what I want to change.

In both of those empty room cases I started going asap-probably 2 weeks or more- before classes started. I worked a 3-5 hours at a time. First just bringing my stuff in. Then boxing up the OT's files and supplies and moving those boxes and OT supplies out ect. Then putting my stuff away and arranging furniture and finally decorating.

This would also vary by grade level since I spent more time decorating and setting up kindergarten rooms than I do for third grade.

Ugh! Im tired just thinking about it.

I would give myself at least 3-4 really long days. But I'd give a lot more time if possible. Its very stressful to be rushing at the last minute and it sure can put a damper on all the new teacher excitement. a week to 2 weeks is probably prefect.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

I like to go in about two weeks before I’m required to report back. I don’t go every day - maybe a couple days one week and a couple days the next, and only for a few hours at time. I prefer to do it while the building is quiet and while I don’t have to rush to meetings and PD sessions. I like to work at a relaxed pace for my own mental health.

I have worked with many teachers who choose not to set up their classroom until the day teachers are required to report back to work, though, which is usually about five days before the students return. Some people work faster than others, and some have different levels of “acceptably completed” classrooms than others.

It really does vary by school/district requirements for when teachers can get into their rooms and also how much priority a teacher places on classroom setup versus his/her free time. A lot of my colleagues are parents and want to spend every last day with their kids that they can. The classroom is not their priority, and they still manage to have nice rooms when the students arrive. I will tell you that my very first year teaching was at a brand new charter school, and the building wasn’t even ready until about three days before the students returned. Although it was stressful, it managed to work out just fine.

10. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

It really depends on the teacher and other factors such as cleaning painting etc. We have summer school in k July that I was voluntold to do but I know they're repainting. I'll go in sometime around the end of the month do what I'm going to do. Luckily I have two free labor agents to help out (my kiddos).

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2018

Officially, we're told that we are allowed back into the school the week before school starts. By that time, all summer cleaning is guaranteed to be completed. That said, we are usually able to get in well before then. Those of us on the second floor should have access in early August (school for us starts the Tuesday after Labour Day); those on the first floor will have to wait until mid-month. We need to email the head caretaker at least 24 hours before we want to come in--he'll give us a yea or nay depending on where they are in the cleaning/waxing process.

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 8, 2018

Congrats! How exciting to have your first room!

I'll echo what others have said. Give the principal a quick e-mail, and they'll let you know. Around here, I think most buildings are still closed to staff until the end of the July. (We start August 14).

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

We are allowed back into our rooms 2 weeks before school starts. Even as a brand new teacher, 2 weeks was more than enough time to get set up. This year I'm moving to a new school, so I'll go in as soon as I can, but I don't expect to take more than a week to get everything ready. Famous last words, but I think I can do it!

14. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

What are some things that you think are essential in (decor) a class? Like rules, posters, etc.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 8, 2018

- a sign with your name
    - poster with your rules
    - other posters / signs with some other rules
    for example I made a huge sign with the 3 "golden" rules, that basically included the 3 non-negotiables. But I had smaller signs about the phone usage, no food in the classroom, etc.
    These you can probably work on making, because they're relevant to you.

But I would hold off on anything else until you see your classroom, because it could already have all kinds of usable decor.
    Generally speaking you would want posters relating to your content, so for me, as an English teacher it was a lot of sings for writing various essays, and I have made quite a few myself. One of my favorite is the many, many motivational quotes (with pretty pictures as background) I printed out (6 years ago) and simply put them in sheet protectors.
    I teach high school English, so this is definitely different from an elementary classroom.

maestraraven96 likes this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

I would wait on getting everything until you start your orientation. Your school may have specific templates or ways that they want you to do things. If I were you, I'd just enjoy my free time this summer, and be prepared to work long, hard days once orientation starts.

Linguist92021 and MissScrimmage like this.
  17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 8, 2018

Rules we create as a class, so I don't create those ahead of time. Did I miss somewhere - what grade are you teaching?

Depending on the grade level (I'm a grade 1 teacher) - I have a calendar area ready, some of my very first anchor charts for our first science and math units, an empty word wall, and a welcome back bulletin board with the students' names on it.

I label the desks, hooks and every single folder, book box, agenda book, etc.

The summer before my first year I prepared all kinds of decor and ideas, only to not use a single one. Wait until you can connect with your colleagues, look around your school, and get a clear vision for the expectations. Enjoy your summer and if you really want to work on school stuff, look at the learning outcomes/standards you are required to teach and familiarize yourself with those.

bella84 likes this.
  18. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

I will teach Spanish grades 6-8