secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. kzot04

kzot04 New Member

Feb 11, 2013

I thought I did but can't seem to find them (have moved twice since taking the class!). I did buy a couple of prep books on amazon. This will be my first attempt.

2. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Feb 12, 2013

Thanks peeps! Love the webpage! Yeah

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2013

kzot04, plan to supplement the prep books with Internet searches on the terminology they give you.

4. lupeeric

lupeeric New Member

Apr 22, 2013

In need of help!

Hello! I'm scheduled to take the RICA this upcoming May 14th. I'm really nervous in taking this test and would like to get any and all the help I can get. My next question is if you could please help me with anything in order to pass this test?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, lupeeric. Have you taken RICA before, or will this be your first attempt?

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Apr 22, 2013

I used Words their Way to study and I also studied the practice Rica on their website. Good luck!

7. lupeeric

lupeeric New Member

Apr 22, 2013

Hello, everyone!! This will be my first time taking this test....... I just took Cset 3 a week ago and now I'm getting ready for the Rica...... I finished my credential program and these two tests are the only thing holding me from getting a job...... Once I get everything done for sure I'll come back here to help any other future teacher going through these test :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2013

So you've had your reading instruction methodology coursework, yes? Your notes and textbooks are likely to be good sources for the technical terminology you need to know in order to answer the questions in ways that will make the scorers happy.

9. bigcam87

bigcam87 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

RICA Study Guide

Hi, I earned my Preliminary Credential using Peace Corps experience but need to pass the RICA this summer to earn Clear Credential. I live overseas still and cannot buy a study book. vsimpkins would you please PM your study guide to me. Thank You

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, bigcam87! How long has it been since your reading instruction methodology coursework? Are you still teaching K-6 or the equivalent?

11. bigcam87

bigcam87 Rookie

Apr 28, 2013

Hi
    It has been 3-4 years since my reading instruction coursework, although I still have some class notes saved on my computer. I currently teach 5th and 6th grade at an international school outside of the US. Hope to return to CA soon and one of the renewal codes for my credential is "READ" which can be fulfilled by passing the RICA. I will only be in the States for a few weeks this summer and so only have the one attempt to pass.

12. bgadud

bgadud New Member

Jun 12, 2013

First time RICA taker

Hello everyone,

I have one year left on my intern credential and only need to pass the RICA to be in the clear. I was thinking about taking it a month from now seeing as how I just finished my reading course last term and the ideas are still fresh. I also wanted to give myself an opportunity to take it a second time in case I do not pass the first time.

I have purchased Zarillo's RICA prep book and Rossi's case study prep book.

vsimpkins study guide has been mentioned a lot here. Does anyone have a link?

Any other suggestions?

I hate these tests!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2013

bgadud, the connection between RICA and what you're going to be doing as a teacher will probably be lots more obvious than it may have been for the other tests.

If you can sound like a reading teacher when you talk about reading, you should be fine.

14. bgadud

bgadud New Member

Jun 17, 2013

Has anyone used the video lectures on youtube from Chris Boosalis? I have started to use them as my primary study guide and filling in the gaps with a phonics book from one of my courses, and some of the online IRIS modules from Vanderbilt university.

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

RICA

So happy for you!!!!!!!

16. liveandletlive

liveandletlive New Member

Sep 16, 2013

HAAAALLLLLPPPPPP

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
    This is what I am feeling right now. I need to take the RICA in four weeks.
    I took the credential class 6 years ago and the RICA 5 years ago. It expired so now i have to take it again and i i feel like i dont know how to study for it. I have the zarrillo book and the case study book. i also have the older cliffsnotes.
    Is there anything other book that would be useful? any other tips. i need to pass this test.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2013

You passed it once; that's a good sign. Be aware that the structure has changed somewhat since you took it: comprehension and vocabulary have been split out into their own domains, each with a constructed response.

Are you working with kids, or have you got any?

18. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

Your test results expired?! Or your credential?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2013

Test results, I'm guessing, teacherwithlove, since CTC doesn't seem to be telling people with expiring preliminary credentials that they have to retake tests before applying for reinstatement.

20. sleeplessinOC

sleeplessinOC Rookie

Nov 6, 2013

HELP!!! I can't pass the RICA!!! I have taken it 4 times now. I'm a smart guy but for some reason I can't seem to pass this exam. I thought I did great the last time I took and I ended up getting a score lower than the previous one. Anyone have any tips? I have the Zarillo, the RICA test prep, and a ton of other packets I downloaded from the internet. Any help would be great. I haven't been able to sleep because of this exam!