secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 11, 2012

I'm so happy for you. Takes a load off you.
    Good luck on your path.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 11, 2012

Congratulations, eternalsunshine!

3. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

Thank you Vsimpkins and TG! Now I kind of think I shouldn't have put off so long!

For anyone still studying, I searched Chris Boosalis videos on you tube while studying for the case study. I had studied for RICA from other books pretty extensively but felt shaky with the case study. I don't know much about him, but he helped me a great deal on how to approach the case studies. So as they say--this is not medical advice lol, but for me, I found that his approach helped me think in a more focused and organized way about the case study. Hope that will help someone!

4. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Nov 30, 2012

Rica

I didn't study for this test and I passed! I thought it was pretty easy. I almost didn't go on the morning of, because I was afraid that I wouln't pass and I did.

5. JaxAttax354

JaxAttax354 New Member

Jan 1, 2013

Hi vsimpkins...I have the same problem and cannot pm you. I know it's been a long time since your original post about the study guide, but I was wondering if it was still available. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

6. twingklez

twingklez Rookie

Jan 3, 2013

vsimpkins, I'm beginning my RICA studies and would like to request your study guide as well. Thanks in advance!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2013

JaxAttax and twingklez, my sympathies. About how close are you coming to passing? Are there particular domains with which you're struggling (fewer than two plus marks)? Are your case studies all right, or are areas identified in which you need to improve?

8. twingklez

twingklez Rookie

Jan 4, 2013

Hi TeacherGroupie!
    I have not taken the exam yet. I'm just barely cracking the study guide open (Revised RICA, 3rd ed.). Do you recommend taking a practice test first to see how I score and then proceed with studying?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2013

Forgive me for leaping to an assumption, twingklez - most people who post to A to Z about RICA post because they haven't passed. Have you had reading instruction methodology coursework?

10. twingklez

twingklez Rookie

Jan 7, 2013

Yes, I've taken a methodology course.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2013

Just making sure... Now let me fish for experiences to anchor your study to: Have you done your student teaching yet?

12. twingklez

twingklez Rookie

Jan 7, 2013

I haven't done my student teaching yet but have had some time in the classroom during observations to work with students one-on-one and in small groups of 2-3. I'm hoping to be placed by the end of the month.

I completed the RICA practice exam from the website. Seems like the area I need to review the most is Competency 6, Phonics and Sight Words Instruction and Assessment.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2013

As you work through the content, think back to your experiences with students: where possible, illustrate the principles and terminology you need to know with examples involving students that you've worked with and activities that you've seen or helped implement in the classroom.

Make sure you're up on the technical terminology of reading and reading instruction. The resources you had (and, I hope kept) for your reading-instruction methodology coursework should contain one or more glossaries: if you don't know some terms, look them up on Google.

14. twingklez

twingklez Rookie

Jan 8, 2013

Sounds good! I felt the same about the terminology after taking the practice exam; I definitely need to brush up on some of the vocabulary. Thank you for your suggestions =)

15. kzot04

kzot04 New Member

Jan 21, 2013

Are there any study guides to the rica people found helpful? I found one on amazon called something like RICA secrets that has no reviews...I so regret not taking this after my methodology class!

16. kzot04

kzot04 New Member

Jan 21, 2013

I would love a copy of your study documents as well but can't pm you when I click on your name...maybe b/c I am a new member? :unsure: Anyone know? Or for those who got a copy from vsimpkins, anyone willing to forward the docs along to me? thanks in advance! :thumb:

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, kzot04. How long ago were your methodology courses?

18. kzot04

kzot04 New Member

Jan 22, 2013

about 2 years ago!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2013

Do you still have your books and notes?

Have you already taken RICA, or is this your first attempt?

20. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Feb 10, 2013

I am getting ready to take the test, any advice or anybody wants to have a study session... I don't plan on taking this test twice, I saw how much the test is! Ouch! Darn! Wow! What the hecKKK!!!