secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2019

Every time test scores are released, a voluminous database with the results for each test taker by name goes to CTC, and smaller databases (again, by name) go to each of the other parties to whom results are reported. It wouldn't be hard for CTC and/or the universities to double-check the passing rates; in fact, Pearson or its predecessor NES has been providing teacher testing to California at least since the 1980s (CBEST, SSAT), and it would be shocking if no one had thought to check the numbers in all those years.

The single most effective way to lower passing rates on test X that I've seen is to trumpet as gospel that test X is gamed, biased, and impossible to pass. Such an announcement is especially damaging to those whose confidence is already low thanks to the test scores and even teachers from whom they learned so often that they are terrible in (choose a subject area) and bad at test taking. Let me add that I have the utmost respect for teacher candidates for whom test preparation requires facing down their personal demons.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Sam17346

Sam17346 New Member

May 16, 2019

Hi Everyone! I just took the RICA on May 3rd, 2019 and found out that I passed on the first try today! I tried to type out what I did, but it would not allow me to post it?

bmmol and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2019

Congratulations, Sam17346, and welcome to A to Z!

One reason that a a very new member's post may not post is that it contains a link (and sometimes the forum software construes a reply-to as a link). May I ask you to bear that possibility in mind and to try again without the link?

4. bmmol

bmmol New Member

May 20, 2019 at 8:22 PM

Hi! I am on my 4th attempt at RICA and have studied SO much for this test. So far I have read the Zarillo book, Chris Boosalis' Beating them all book, done the TeachersTestPrep online, watched Boosalis' videos and studied from Quizlet. No idea what I'm not doing right... I feel that I am struggling most with comprehension and vocab. I retake it on the 30th and am wondering if anyone does online private tutoring or can offer me a good study guide to use. I feel like I know the info, but for some reason when it comes time to the test I'm struggling and I reallllly (like everyone else) need to pass to start my dream career. THANK YOU!

5. bmmol

bmmol New Member

May 20, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Congratulations!!! Are you able to email the way that you found success please? Thanks!

6. bmmol

bmmol New Member

May 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM

@vsimpkins
    Would I be able to get your study guide as well please?