secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

I seriously think the RICA is a straight ripoff! Even though this will only be my 2nd time taking it, I was sure that I passed it the first time. I just took it on Aug 8, 2018, and I'm not sure if I passed, so I'll just keep studying and seeking out information until I finally pass! California wondering why they don't have enough teachers?? It's because of too much testing, a lack of decent pay, and too many political issues involved. Why should I or anyone else need to take the RICA if I have a Masters in Special Education?? They really need to stop the money scam!! Anyway, does anybody have any tips that would help me pass? It was because of the advice of TeacherGroupie on this site that I passed one of my CSET's a few years back! So if any of you have any pointers, I'd appreciate!
    THANKS!!!

JBrand29 likes this.
  2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2018

Hi, bananas. Tell me the diagnostics on your first score report and what you did differently for your second go, and I can hazard some guesses as to your likelihood of having passed.

3. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

Hi TeacherGroupie. By the way, I never got a chance to tell you thanks for the suggestions you made to help me pass section 3 of the ENG CSET! THANKS a million!! As for the RICA this time around, I made sure I had over 300 words this time. However, I think my mistake was spending too much time on the multiple choice and having to end up rushing on the Case Study. I identified 2 strengths and a weakness. I started with the strengths, giving detail on why I thought it was a strength, referencing back to the lessons/assessments of the student. Next, I listed the weakness. For each weakness, I identified what the weakness was and (or what I thought it was), and for each of them I listed, I listed an activity/strategy for each weakness, stating examples in teacher voice and finally, listing a benefit/explanation for each. I think one of my mistakes is getting the terminology confuse when I see the student responses and what area of difficulty the student is having.
    I'm nervous about this one!!
    Thanks!

4. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

According to the results, on the first time around, my weakness was in the Case study area, which read: "Your case study responses showed a need for improvement in:
    *Describing instructional strategies/and or activities
    *Explaining how the strategies and/or activities promote reading proficiency."

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2018

What about the distribution of plus marks in domains 1 through 5?

6. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 11, 2018

Domains:
    1- +++
    2-++
    3-+++
    4-++
    5-++

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2018

Ah: let me explain, then.

First, multiple choice accounts for half of available points in RICA, and constructed response including case study for the other half.

Now the diagnostic +++ translates to "pretty good but with room for improvement." That's what you have in domains 1 and 3, which together account for 30% of available multiple-choice points and 10% of constructed-response points excluding the case study.

But ++ translates informally to "on the right track, but less than ready for prime time," and that's what you have in domains 2, 4, and 5. Domain 2 is word analysis, and it alone accounts for fully 1/3 of multiple-choice points plus 1/5 of constructed-response points not counting the case study. 1/3 + 1/5 = 8/15, so that's more than half of available points overall. Strengthening your grasp on this domain, including its technical terminology, would be a really good idea.

If it's any consolation, most of the people who have posted on this thread have reported the same shortcoming.

In terms of word analysis, what can you tell me about the word "speechlessly"? Use technical terms, please.

8. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 11, 2018

Thanks so much. This was very helpful.

9. Angie13

Angie13 Rookie

Oct 6, 2018

I wanted to share that I passed on my 3rd try!

Things I did differently on the 3rd time.

I read Chris boosalis red Rica test prep book and took lots of notes. I didn't watch his videos at all the 3rd time studying.

I also took an addition al $100 test prep class offered through my university. She suggested labeling your essays so the reader doesn't have to find the answer. Also, read MC answers first then read the question. Answer simple MC and go back to hard ones later. Save the short answer essays for last because theyr e only worth 5%.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Angie13

Angie13 Rookie

Oct 6, 2018

+++
    ++++
    +++
    ++
    +++
    Case study: +++

Also, focus mostly on the case study

futuremathsprof likes this.