secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bookishcaifornian

bookishcaifornian New Member

Aug 21, 2017

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been on a bit of a hectic schedule where I've been traveling every two weeks for about a week at a time which has really disrupted my studying.

I've postponed the test by 2 weeks the first time, 1 week the second, and an additional week for the third time. Now here I am, back from my travels...and the test is in 10 days (obviously I won't be studying on Day 10), so with nine days...is that enough time to cram all the information? I've taken a teaching reading class...which however helps minimally because there were just a few assignments, the course hardly met, and therefore there wasn't much learned.

I have bad test anxiety, so now I'm not sure if this is even possible. I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but I'm definitely afraid. I have the Zarrillo book and I'm renting the Case Studies book. What am I missing? Should I postpone the test another time to give myself an ample amount of time (solid two weeks)? Or should I study 4-5 hours a day in hopes of a success story?

I know there is more that I could have done in the past, but I just need to look forward now.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2017

Hugs, bookishcalifornian. Your best bet might be just to give the test a go and see how you do.

It might be smart to read back through this thread tocheck out some of the questions that people have raised and some of the issues they've had.

3. lolo

lolo New Member

Sep 4, 2017

me too!! :)

4. Anny

Anny Rookie

Oct 2, 2017

I've been staying awhile from RICA because I've been so close every time and got discouraged. I am studying again and am very motivated this time. However, I come here and received a very big shock that caused me to call my school for answers.

On the previous page, I read that your CSET, teacher prep courses, everything expires??? I have already received my Masters and completed all my courses at the same school. I just need the RICA to receive my pre-lim credential. Somebody please clarify!! It has been 5 years since I graduated! I didn't realize there was such a thing! I remember freaking out over the CSET because you had 5 years to pass it or else you would have to take all sections of the test again. I can't go back to school! It was expensive and time consuming going the first time!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. Mr.A721

Mr.A721 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017

This is an email I got from my credential program. CSET/RICA Examinations: The CTC has made a change to the validity timeframe. Examinations passed after April 1, 2007 are now valid for 10 years (in lieu of 5 years) and can be used towards a teacher certification license. However, for the TPA (teacher performance assessments, depending on your university, you may have to take a recourse and do another TPA.) And I also found this out.
    • Credential coursework is only valid for 7 years. Depending on when you completed your credential coursework you may be required to request course extensions from your credential program.
    • Fingerprint clearance with the CTC can expire so a new livescan may be needed.
    Ultimately, it depends on what your school says. Good luck!!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 3, 2017

Thanks for sharing this, Mr.A721, and welcome to A to Z!