secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Sharif Jabsheh

Sharif Jabsheh New Member

Apr 6, 2017

Dimples do you still have the study guide

2. Sharif Jabsheh

Sharif Jabsheh New Member

Apr 6, 2017

Vsimpkins any I can get your study guide please

3. JGomez

JGomez New Member

Apr 6, 2017

Hello Everyone! I just took the RICA for the second time and I didn't pass. It was really discouraging because I scored a 195 the first time without studying much and got a 188 this time while actually studying. Any strategies you can suggest or study guides you can refer me to will be much appreciated.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

What diagnostics were given on your score reports?

5. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 10, 2017

Email me

6. Vanessa Mayer

Vanessa Mayer New Member

Apr 26, 2017

Hello! I sadly have taken the RICA 4 times! I missed the last one by one point. I am so discouraged and need any advice for studying. I am taking the test end of May and have to pass! I am currently a long term sub and they want to hire me full time for next year but have to have this test passed first! Please help!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  7. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 26, 2017

Private Message me

8. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

May 1, 2017

what were your scores?

9. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

May 1, 2017

For word analysis I used the study guide on this https://github.com/cboosalis/RICA
    Make sure to use the correct term. The last few attempts on the RICA I would say consonant diagraphs instead of consonant blends. This is very important. Also, in the said study guide, Boosalis provides some very easy teaching strategies.

CrossFitKayla likes this.
  10. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

May 1, 2017

I felt the same way after my 9th attempt. Keep your head up! https://github.com/cboosalis/RICA Study the worksheets as you watch the boosalis videos. If you have any questions just ask!!!

11. Aaronbrock

Aaronbrock New Member

May 2, 2017

On 4th RICA attempt coming up. Missed by 5, 1 and 11. Very frustrated and looking for new resources. Been seeing lots of Boosalis talk so I am going that route this time but also looking for online test prep. Anybody used TeacherTestPrep? Here is my last score report.

Total Score: 209

Domain

1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. Based on Ongoing Assessment...+++

2: Word Analysis...++

3: Fluency....++

4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge.....++

5: Comprehension...........++

Case Study (Domains 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)...............++

Domain

Case Study Performance Index

Your case study response showed a need for improvement in the following area(s):

* Describing instructional strategies and/or activities

12. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

May 8, 2017

Please refer to my post on the Boosalis videos, do you use his worksheets to study?

13. Mr.A721

Mr.A721 New Member

May 15, 2017

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping someone can give me pointers as to what they did to pass the RICA? I'll be taking the RICA, again, for the 6th attempt. (I'm getting quite frustrated at this point.) The lowest score I received was a 168, while the highest, thus far, is a 213. I have read the Zarrillo book and currently own it. But was hoping anyone else had other pointers? Thank you.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, Mr.A721. That's quite a range of scores. What diagnostic indicators are you seeing on your score reports?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2017

Plus marks run on a scale from + to ++++. 209 is a rather good score for getting ++ practically across the board.

Tell me what you think word analysis consists of.

16. Mr.A721

Mr.A721 New Member

May 15, 2017

To be honest, that 168 was when I didn't study the material at all. I was simply trying to get a feel for the test and pass it blindly. (I know, worst thing to do.) So technically, this will be my 7th time taking the exam. Anyway, when I did study, the scores I received are as follows, 203, 208, 202, 212, and 213.

On the exam with 208, Domain 1 was ++ Domain 2 +++ Domain 3 + Domain 4 ++ Domain 5++ And case study was +

On the exam with 212, Domain 1 was +++ Domain 2 ++ Domain 3+++ Domain 4 ++ Domain 5+++ And case study was +++

And on the exam with 213, Domain 1 was ++ Domain 2 ++ Domain 3++ Domain 4 +++ Domain 5++ And case study was ++

I just find it peculiar that on the exam with 212, I got higher marks, but I still didnt pass. :(

And yes, I'm well aware that I probably needed another + for Domain 2 and 4. But I was just saying that in reference to the exam where I got 213. Partly because it seemed as though the exam with 212 should have been higher?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  17. CrossFitKayla

CrossFitKayla New Member

May 19, 2017

I just wanted to give some hope to all who are feeling frustrated, on my third try I finally passed the RICA! After receiving a 217 and 219 I was feeling quite frustrated as I studied a month before each test. What really helped me was the Ready for Revised RICA book, I focused most of my time on word analysis competencies and comprehension. I also took the free practice test on teachers test prep. It breaks down your score as well, which helped! I also made flash cards from Quizlet specifically on word analysis.
    I improved by 1 + on every competency section, which I never though was possible. It can be done! I ended up getting all 3 pluses (+++) and one (++++). This test can be conquered! I hope all of you find success with this test!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2017

Let me sketch out a response to Mr.A721.

If all RICA questions were equally difficult, there'd be no need for scaled scores. They're not, however: it's darned near impossible to write even two questions, let alone a whole test's worth, that are exactly equivalent in difficulty. The numbers of plus marks in each domain and on the case study are based on your raw score (that is, the number of multiple-choice answers you got right plus, for constructed responses, the sum of the number of points that each scorer awarded you). The score conversion algorithm weights the various questions and question types and spits out a number on a scale from 100 to 300. The scaled score of 212 reflects a test version that was somewhat easier overall than the scaled score of 213 did.

The good news is that you're very close to passing - though, yes, you've got some work to do in domain 2.

When you write RICA constructed responses, to whom do you think you're writing?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2017

Congratulations, CrossFitKayla! If you now find yourself viewing and talking about reading instruction differently than you did, you've not only beaten the test but gotten the best out of it.

CrossFitKayla likes this.
  20. Curiousfox

Curiousfox New Member

May 22, 2017 at 10:53 PM

Hey everyone!

So this will be my 6th time taking this test. I am on the verge of going back to school for another career. I love working with kids and I don't want this test to crush that for me. That being said, any tips to help? I had the Cliff notes book, that didn't work. I have the Zarillo book, but it only helped so much. I have done the RICA seminars and is able to take it again for free since I didn't pass. I have watched the videos on YouTube by the one professor. Each time I have not gone lower than 200. The closest I have gotten to passing is 218. Every test I have gotten a 2 for the case study as well as word analysis and I believe comprehension. At this point, I will take anything ANYTHING to help me pass next month. I would like to find a job for the next year.