secret to passing the RICA?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by littlemama, Mar 26, 2004.

1. littlemama

littlemama Guest

Mar 26, 2004

RICA help

Okay, so the CSET can be passed and is better than the MSAT. What is the secret to passing the RICA? I'm fed up with the test. I can pass the others but keep missing it by a few points each time. Worst thing is that I teach students with Autism and still have to take the test.

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 29, 2004

My literacy teacher says that no matter what the question (on the essays) you should alwasy say what you the teacher will do for the student, not the homework you will send home, or the tips you will give the parents. She also said the essays are more like short answers, you can bullet or number your responses, it doesn't have to be in essay form. I haven't taken it yet though, I will in June after I am finished with my next literacy class. My crendential program has a 100% passage rate so I am feeling some pressure not to be the one to mess it up but I also feel like my program is very comprehensive and will prepare me thoroughly.

4. alpine

alpine New Member

Mar 29, 2005

cset math subtest II

HI
    I have taken the cset math 3 times. I am taking it in May instead of the March 18 cause that would't give me enough time. I can't student teach until I pass it I passed the others the first time. Theres so much to study. If I did good on the multiple choice I didn't do good on the essay and vice a versa for science. This website has helped me so much. To know I'm not alone. Has anyone taken the March test? I see the threads but it says :p March 2004 is that a mistake if so wheres March 2005? Thank-you

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

The questions got deleted because it states in the CSET test that we are not to disclose any test information. We can't post it on here, but if you ask someone nicely I'm sure they'll email you some stuff. We've got to work together you know? :p

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

There's no prohibition against discussing matter that might plausibly come up on the test. If you look through threads and topics on the CSET subforum, there's lots and lots of discussion...

As to RICA, teacherfan's advice is spot on.

7. naomi

naomi Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

HOW MUCH SHOULD I STUDY TO MAKE SURE I CAN PASS THE RICA?

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

I used the study guide from my textbook (don't have the book anymore but I still have the study guide I download, the title starts "The Nature of Literacy and Today's..."). I answered every single question from that, then I went to Pepperdine's website for RICA preparation http://gsep.pepperdine.edu/programs/testing_rica/RICAGlossary.html and memorized every single definition that I didn't already know. Then I went to the RICA website and downloaded sample questions from all domains and practiced. Once you know something, cross it off your study list, that way you keep narrowing it down. I scheduled the test for June and I started studying all of this in March. I did not want to have to pay to take that test more than once!

It's a very subjective test, so get ready. The multiple-choice questions are very complex, unlike the CBEST or MSAT. Good luck to both of you. :)

9. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I highly recommend buying the Cliff's Test Prep Book for the RICA. There's also another book called "Getting Ready for the RICA" that is also helpful.
    That stuff worked for me. Studying vocabulary words prepped me well for the multiple choice.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Hi Naomi.

I had to laugh when I read your post--- please forgive me. But I got the exact same question yesterday from my 7th graders when we were discussing their upcoming math final.

Here's my response: You have to keep on studying until you know the material. The amount of time and the material you need to study will vary from one person to the next... something you feel you've always known may be a totally new concept to the person next to you. (ALthough, for my final exam, it SHOULDN'T be!!!!!)

Take a look at the website, take a look at the guides, and do lots and lots of practice questions. Invest in a looseleaf binder and keep your work together-- try to organize it by topic of that's possible. Set aside a regular time to study-- mark it on your calendar so that you won't let it slide.

Again, forgive me if my advice sounds simplistic-- I have no experience with that test in particular.

11. naomi

naomi Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

YOU ARE CORRECT....EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND THE AMOUNT OF STUDY NEEDED TO PASS A TEST VARIES FROM INDIVIDUAL TO INDIVIDUAL.......
    ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU!
    NAOMI

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2007

Absolutely true.

13. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Does anyone know of any study groups near Rancho Cucamonga for the RICA? Or one one one tutors. The next test date from now til August.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

The next test date is August 11. You could check in with the school of ed at UC Riverside or CSU San Bernardino... or perhaps there's someone at the education program at Claremont Graduate University who tutors.

15. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

How can I get this previous message about tutoring one on one so that others on this site can view this message about a study buddy in Rancho cucamonga?

16. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Im looking for a study buddy in Rancho Cucamonga for the RICA

Hi I was not sure if I had posted this message or not! Anyway I'm looking or a Study Buddy for the RICA in or near the city of Rancho Cucamonga. Does anyone know of anyone. We could meet at a local library or neutral setting! Please let me know ASAP!:) :help:

17. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Have u passed the RICA yet. If not I'm looking for help on it or a study buddy! Please let me know soon!

18. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

If you PM me I have a study guide I developed when I was being tutored for the RICA. I also have it blank, so you can practice filing it out without the words.

19. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Hi there please check ur private messages! Let me know when U get it! Thanks again!

20. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I have checked my messages.

21. Ready2Teach25

Ready2Teach25 New Member

Apr 25, 2012

Help

Sorry, I'm new to this and am not sure how to private message you, but I was wondering if you still had that study guide you mentioned. Please let me know. Thank you!:)

Wonderwoman922 likes this.