Second grader peeing in pants

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Superteacher81, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Oct 15, 2007

I have a student who is non-stop all day long. She's out of her seat more than she's in it, constantly in bathroom, at water fountain, talks ALL the time, etc. Anyway, she recently peed in her pants during P.E. class and I thought it was odd, but let it go, thought she may have done it for attention. Then today, she peed in her pants at her seat while I was cleaning vomit out of the bathroom from someone else (yeah, it was an interesting afternoon!). I was livid! Now, I'm convinced she is doing it for attention! Of course I'm going to talk to mom, but it is one of those situations where she'll probably blame me and think something's going on in the classroom. So, I'm afraid she will keep peeing in my room! What do I do with a student as unique as her? And, has anyone ever had a child older than 7 pee their pants? :eek::help:

3. eydie

eydie Companion

Oct 15, 2007

If you think she is doing it for attention then give her as little as possible. Call Mom and tell her to be sure to send a change of clothes in the child's backpack. When she has the next accident you can discretely tell her to go change without making an issue of it. If she's doing it on purpose, it won't be any fun for her to do if she doesn't get much af a reaction.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 15, 2007

You need some plastic bags for her to put the wet clothes in (smell and stains) ''

After she leaves wipe down the spot with disinfectant and wear rubber gloves.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2007

It could be attention, of course, but if it continues I wonder if you should suggest she have the girl checked by her doctor???

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 15, 2007

I would discuss it with mom and listen for insight. There could be an underlying condition (either physical or phycological). If nothing else, keeping an open minded approach may win mom over to your side if you need to take stronger tactics.

7. missteach?

missteach? Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

Drinking and peeing excessivly is a sign of diabetes dont forget to watch that. She needs to see a doctor in any case if she is wetting her pants repeatedly at 7. Even a GP know to check for mental as well as physical issues.
    My neighbors son has ADD and a few other issues and the hyper activity as well as the meds have occasionally cause him to have accidents in school and while asleep.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 15, 2007

Try not to be mad! ;) There could very well be a physical problem. She could have a small bladder, she could have a bladder infection (I had two kids start the year with them), she could be holding it too long because she is too busy to stop and go to the bathroom.

Talk to her mom and ask if she has had any problems at home. Ask mom to send a few pairs of undies and a couple pairs of pants for emergencies. Then if it happens again, show her where the bags are for her wet clothes, hand her the paper towels and some Lysol cleaner, and let her clean up after herself. I am dead serious. She is old enough, it won't hurt her, and it is time for her to see that she is responsible for the consequences of her behavior, whether she can help it or not. It is not a punishment - why should you have to stop your whole class to clean up after one child? (the vomit, that is another story)

Poor you!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 15, 2007

The other 4th grade teacher at my school has had several students pee in their pants in her room! 4th Grade!! One of them it happened several times, and she did have some sort of medical condition. The others, have just been random incidents. I'm so glad it's been in her room, and not mine!

10. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

It is also a sign of abuse.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2007

I had a second at the beginning of the year last year that still pooed his pants on occasion. Some of the time it was that he wasn't wiping as well, but most of the time it was that he didn't ask to go to the bathroom. We figured out that he was doing it because mom would come and pick him up and take him home. As soon as she just started bringing a change of clothes he quit.

12. annafish

annafish Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I had a second grader pee her pants 2 times the other day, turned out she had a UTI. You never know..

13. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I was going to add that.

I do agree that she should be expected to discretely clean up after herself.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2007

Students should always be made to clean up after themselves (unless it's vomiting and they're legitimately sick). It's not a punishment at all, and should include if they spill something accidentally.

This makes me feel a bit better about my son. He doesn't pee in school, but two years ago in kindergarten he peed at a party (it was at an arcade, and he was really into the air hockey). He does, however, pee at night. It's been getting better, but seven is pretty old to still wet the bed (not to mention -- if you know anything about Japanese culture -- yeah. . .) He is getting a bit better, though. My four-year old is very nearly finished with diapers at night also.

He sleeps like a rock, and simply doesn't feel it at night. It could be the same with these kids during the day. Definitely bring it up with the parents; they'll very likely know about it already.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 17, 2007

7 years old is not that old for a boy to still wet the bed at night - it is not that unusual. A drag for mom though! a close relative had a son who had problems with #2 in the pants till a great age - I think he might have been 10 or older and it was still happening. They thought he was just being lazy, but it turned out he needed some medical help. You never know - so the physical aspect must be checked out.

Superteacher - something that helped in a class at our school - about 5 pants-wetters in that group - was that a parent brought the teacher a watch with an alarm, and the alarm was set for every 40 min. and the kids had to go to the bathroom and empty out. The time was gradually increased until the students learned to handle it on their own. This was very helpful, a pain at first, but overall, the teacher didn't have her class interrupted with the accident, cleaning it up (these were young kids), finding dry clothes, getting someone to help the child change - multiply by 5 and you see that using an alarm watch saved a lot of time. I admired the teacher for going along with the parent's suggestion.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 17, 2007

some kids pee when they are upset or nervous or plain forget!

Yes my kids have had some accidents over the age of 7. Usually playing too hard (or in this girls case talking too much to her friends).

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 17, 2007

My Daughter still has a problem with bed wetting and uses good nights her doctor promises she will get better, she just has an imature bladder.

18. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 18, 2007

I had a student that was in the bathroom all the time. Her mom took her to the doctor and it turned out that she had something wrong with her (medically). I can't remember what it was, it was at the end of the year 2 years ago. Wetting yourself is also a sign of sexual abuse!!!!!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 18, 2007

Yes. Three students.

If she's doing this for attention for an extra trip to the clinic, that's possibly a guidance referral, yet at the same time, you have to document before you go anywhere with this. If it just happens twice, then let it go, yet if it becomes habitual, then you know where to head next.

20. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 18, 2007

thats the story of my life. i have written a couple of posts about 2nd-3rd grade bathroom problems out in my gym and the 2nd grade teacher also confirming that there have been issues in her class. the child the 2 incidences involve is already going to the counselor and told my assistant that she just doesn't feel it. i don't feel like it's a cry of attention in her case, but it's so hard to tell these days b/c there are kids who "ask to go" all day long and then end up having accidents b/c they never went to the bathroom when they asked to. they played around and then unfortunately paid for it later.

i have had other student's who mess around and by the time they ask to go, it's too late. in that case, that is their fault unless there is an underlying medical problem. i had that happen a couple of weeks ago and it was the 2nd grade child who farted around during class and didn't ask to go until it was too late and we were lining up to go back inside.

21. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Oct 24, 2007

first of all, i don't think she should have to clean up after herself in this case. i think kids should always clean up after themselves in most cases, but this is a little different situation. you don't want to embarrass her or make it a big deal. if she's having to clean up pee then all of the other students will notice and that would be humiliating. i would just give her a change of clothes send her to change and act like it never happened. if it keeps happening i would definitely discuss it with her mother before anyone else. maybe she's been doing it at home as well. i'm sure it CAN be a sign of abuse but it can be something completely different. kids pee on themselves when there are major changes going on, too. a divorce? a move? her pet died? it could be any number of things. my daughter NEVER had accidents once she was potty trained (lucky me) and then all of a sudden she started peeing on herself all the time for about a week straight. i had no idea why. i immediately told her teacher about it and told her nothing was going on at home so i had no idea what the problem was, but luckily she never did it at school. i never made a big deal about it or asked why are you doing this? and she just stopped as quickly as she had started. you never know with something like this....