Seating Arrangment in Math Class?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by JMUteacher, Aug 21, 2008.

1. JMUteacher

JMUteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Yesterday I finally set up my classroom (and I think my arm is sore from all the stapling). Anyway, I've got my bulletin boards all set up but I'm at a loss for my seating arrangement. The chairs are attached to the desk so my question to you is, what arrangement works best in your math class? I hate to have them in rows, it just seems so traditional. I also have a lot of extra desks (my max is 22 students) and I have 27 desks in the room. Any suggestions on what I should do with the 5 extra?

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

I'm new to this myself...but I stole/borrowed an idea from another teacher. She is seperating the girls from the boys (has found that it's worked well for her before) and has one group facing the front of the room, and the other facing sideways....if that makes any sence. Err....lets see.....

B V V V V V V V
    O V V V V V V V
    A
    R < < < < < <
    D < < < < < <
    < < < <

If that shows up right...the way the arrow is pointing is the way the student will be facing. It's rough and I don't even have kids in here yet!!! But...I don't have many choices...it's an okay sized room...but I have 30 desks!! I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it works...girls in one set and boys in the other set...if it doesn't work out I can always put in rows or come up with something else!

4. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

in the past I've put the desk in groups of 3 or 4. they work in groups mostly in my class, however, when time to take quizzes, tests, or do individual work they turn their desk out so the backs for the desk are in the center of the group. I simply say "Desks In" or "Desks Out". It takes about 2 weeks for them to get it straight.

This year I'm at a different school and have large tables with 3 to 4 at each. Not sure how quizzes and tests and going to work out.

5. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

I have them in pairs and singles - those that can handle a seat partner get one, and those that need to practice their self discipine get to sit along. I always have extra chairs, so when we do group work I have them pull one up.

Something like this:
    x xx xx xx x
    x xx xx xx x
    x xx xx xx x
    BOARD

I move seats around every month so they do not get bored.

6. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I do pairs as well. It really helps with the Teach-Okay technique used in Power Teaching!