Screening Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 10, 2017

I had a screening interview yesterday in a very affluent district. It was me, the principal, and two teachers. I was told that they might actually have two positions, and were also keeping "an eye out" for two other schools in the district that were likely to have two additional positions.

Most of the questions were fairly basic. One threw me, and I don't know why. She asked me to tell her something that wasn't on my resume or application. Since the application was some 20 pages long, with space to write "additional information" and an essay, it was actually hard to come up with something that hadn't already been conveyed. I ended up saying that I'm a very flexible, easy-going person, and that people often comment that I'm easy to work with. Meh. Not great. Later in the interview, the p. said, "Can you give us examples of a time when you had to be flexible but didn't want to be?" Well, honestly, I think all of us as teachers are flexible everyday. It's in our nature, it's in our genes. We spin the plates all day long and try to please many constituents while doing our jobs. I didn't want to sound like a complainer..I ended up telling a story about how I was flexible with a parent who had a reputation for being very difficult to please, which ended with success for the child and with the parent having confidence in me. I wasn't sure if this was what she was looking for. Perhaps she wanted a story about a time I clashed with a colleague but acquiesced. She said, "OK thanks" and moved on.

Other questions went better...the teachers really seemed to like my answers about curriculum integration and using higher-order thinking skills in my planning. They were super-friendly. I left feeling good...but of course I'm hashing it over now, since I haven't heard anything. I was told they were choosing three applicants to proceed through the process and they were interviewing more today. So perhaps tomorrow.

The good new is that I was called for an interview in another district on the 21st. That is only one week before PD starts in my district...but I'm going to go because I can't pass it up.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2017

They bring in lots of people, and quality people want to work in a quality district.

We all feel like you do right now after any interview. Start prepping for the next one. Worst case scenarion, you waste time studying because you advance in this place.

Leaborb192 and Rainbowbird like this.
  4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2017

Well, I didn't hear anything today. Really, this is like dating losers who say they'll call but don't! LOL If you're not going to call me...then don't say you'll call me! OK, next interview is Wed. Focusing on that now.

Leaborb192 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2017

Basically it shows how little respect districts have for potential teachers. I look at it as once they've decided it's a "no" they just move along and forget you ever existed. It's like when they say "Oh well we'd love to have you," but don't hire you, but say "If we have more openings later on we'll contact you," and/or the whole "keep your app on file for a year nonsense'' and then you see the job posted... and surprise, they never reached out to ask you!
    I watched my friend get screwed over this past spring after they kept interviewing and saying "We want you in the building!" but then never hired her. They paraded all these newbies in and hired them instead.
    You can't control it. Just move on with your life!
    :)

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2017

As hard as it is to hear, it really is all about protecting themselves from liability. They are doing their best not to be sued. If you get a call from someone saying you didn't get a job, it's because they thought enough about you that you warranted a phone call. Some districts just send form letters or emails. Others just ignore you completely. Just assume however they respond is probably policy.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2017

I would say that's pretty much everything about this profession. Avoiding complaints and lawsuits. :(

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2017

I agree with much of what you you say. However, I would argue that it's just rude to say that they will call you and let you know when they have no intention of doing so. It happens over and over to so many of us here.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2017

Well, I will eat my words as far as this district is concerned. She didn't call, but the p did just email me to say that they selected another candidate. At least I know.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2017

Did she tell you how "impressed" she was with you and urge you to apply to future openings? That's always a fun one. My friend has been told many times "we want you in the building'' but they don't seem to hire her... hmmm...
    A perfect example of how actions speak louder than words.
    Be as ''impressed'' as you want, but if it doesn't equate to a job, it's pretty meaningless.
    :roll:

11. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 13, 2017

Yeah, but sometimes they tell you that and actually mean it. Perhaps your friend is impressive but is always up against others who are more of a better fit at the time.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2017

Except it keeps happening, over and over, so at a certain point the question has to be asked, "Do you really think that?"

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2017

LOL, she did not. I suspect it was a form letter.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 14, 2017

Maybe we want you in the building means we want you to continue being a sub even if we don't offer you a job.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2017

What's the other optionThink they want you in the building
    That sounds likely