Screening Interview - What to expect?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chuckie, Apr 20, 2008.

1. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I'm just starting the job search and I am going in next week for a screening interview with the school district's HR. Has anyone done these? I know it's different than a hiring interview with a principal, but I was wondering what types of questions I should be prepared for at a screening interview.

Thanks,
    Charlotte

3. athomp

athomp Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I've been on a few of these. It's usually about 8 to 10 "canned" questions about your personality and style of teaching. On almost every screening interview I've been on they will ask you to tell a little about yourself, why you became a teacher...they will also usually ask about how you handle classroom management issues, how will you teach to the standards, what would it look like if they were to walk into your classroom and what would they see, and how will you reach all students/students with diverse needs, etc.

If the HR person likes what he/she hears, then you'll get referred to a principal for another interview and they will ask similar questions.

That's usually how it works, or at least the one's I've been on. The principals are usually the one's the hire you, not HR.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 20, 2008

It's a brief getting-to-know you thing. They will ask more general questions. usually, they tell you the next step of the process when they are done.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2008

Yes, I agree with the previous poster. I wish all interviews were like this.. It's fairly informal and friendly.

6. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Thanks for the information. I'm very nervous because I graduated college 15 years ago. I decided not to pursue teaching at that point and stayed home to raise my children and then opened my own small computer business that I had for 4 years.

After taking two Praxis exams and two grad courses I was able to reinstate my certification but am concerned that I am out of practice and very far from my student teaching experiences at this point. I'm worried about being able to answer these questions in an intelligent fashion.

Anyone else in this situation?

-Charlotte

7. teachermommy

teachermommy Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

I have a screening interview in an hour!!!

I taught for 2 years then had my family. I took courses and kept my certification active. I did little part time teaching in preschools and early intervention (I am SPED) to not be totally out of teaching altogether. Now that I am ready to go full time again, I have been subbing. I got a long term sub job (a maternity leave). This helped get me back into teaching and the lingo. It just finished 2 weeks ago.

I also bought Adam Waxlers ebook. It helped so much. He is very knowledgeable. It had all the information I needed to feel a bit more confident again.

Wish me luck on my screening interview! :eek: I am so nervous.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

Good Luck! teachermommy!

9. teachermommy

teachermommy Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

just got back

The screening interview was 15 minutes. it was 6 questions. It was a form where he filled out some of my answers and then there was a checklist which he completes after I leave. (I saw him completing it with the person before me). It has 4 boxes for Knowledgeable, semi knowledgeable etc... You want all of the Knowledgeable ones!!!

Here are my questions

Why did you go into teaching?
    Tell me about a lesson and how you planned it.
    Tell me about a difficult situation and how did you handle it.
    What do you use in your classroom to facilitate learning?

That is all I remember. The questions all blended into each other.

I am concerned bec he is a special person, but not elem. My answers were based on elem. SPED. There are only 2 elem. SPED positions. He said I'd hear by mid to the end of May.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2008

Crossing fingers and toes, teachermommy!

11. Teacher'sApple

Teacher'sApple New Member

Feb 21, 2010

What to Expect--Screening Interview

I just finished a screening interview and was asked several questions, including:
    1) Tell us about your teaching experiences and work with children.
    2) Tell us how you use technology in your teaching.
    3) Tell us the ways you communicate with parents.
    4) Tell us about a significant teaching moment and why it was significant.
    5) Describe your management style.
    6) How do you meet the needs of special learners--such as students with IEP's and English language learners?
    7) Describe the relationship between your planning and assessments.
    8) How do you know what to teach/get started teaching?

The screening interview is an actual interview. Think through your experiences and you will be prepared.

12. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

teachermommy and Teacher's Apple: You both brought up good questions that I need to think about. I think I will need to write out answers. In spite of my teaching experience and having done all the things asked about in the questions, it is often hard for me to answer questions like that. I go blank. :(

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 23, 2010

I had a screening interview last year... here were the questions (or those I can remember....there were 50 questions in 40 minutes - SHOCK! But they were like a lightening round on a quiz show. they wanted them to go fast so they would get your first thoughts of how to handle situational dilemas):

What does Discipline mean to you?

Can you have TOO personal a relationship with a student?

A student has been the focus of racial comments by other students...he says it's no big deal. How do you handle this?

A student says "No one likes me."

In the middle of a lesson you notice that a student is crying.

How, when, and why would you vary assignments?

Who is inevitably responsible for the success of the student?

Strategies you believe help you the most

How would you deal with a co-worker who does not like the proposed "plan" that would also help the school?

What sort of relationship have you had with principals?

How do you handle criticism from the principal that you might feel is unjust?

If a principal comes into your room in the middle of a lesson and tells you to stop what you are doing immediately - you are proud of what you are doing and the kids are responding well to your lesson...what do you do?

A child confides that:

-people hurt him (but asks you not to say anything)
    -his dog just died

A gifted student in your class asks why HE/SHE must do the assignment since he/she knows it already

That's all I can think of right now. (and yes, i passed the screening. Situational questions are no problem for me...it's the theory ones that make me nervous. Not that I don't know the answers...but just being judged by people who have been in the field for so long.)

14. stepka

stepka Comrade

Feb 23, 2010

You might want to be prepared for the possibility that they will want to have you on camera. I had this happen twice and it doesn't sound so bad, but when the interviewer turned the camera on he got very fake, and that made me extremely uncomfortable. I didn't think I'd get a job, and didn't until months later, so I guess I made the cut, but it was a TA job.

15. betsy68

betsy68 Rookie

Apr 20, 2010

I just had my first screening interview and I guess it went well. They asked:

1. Tell me about yourself and what experience you have working with children.
    2. Why do you want to teach?
    3. What does it mean to be a role model to you?
    4. You and another teacher are teaching the same lesson. What would you do to make students want to be in your class rather than the other teacher's?
    5. Can you teach the writing process?
    6. What kind of creative activities do you have the students do?
    7.How would you encourage students to express themselves in writing?
    8. Have you ever had to communicate with parents due to a concern they have about their child?
    9. What experience do you have with special ed paperwork?
    10 When working in a team, what qualities do you want your team members to have?
    11. What strengths can you bring to the classroom?

That's all I can think of right now. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It took about 30 minuets and she had a check list to fill out when we were done that had personal appearance, knows teaching methods, communicates effectively, use of English language, etc. As long as you make eye contact, smile and relax you should be fine.