Scott Foresman Language Arts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by idahomom, Aug 7, 2010.

1. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I have an interview on Tuesday. The district I am interviewing with uses the Scott Foresman Reading/Language Arts program and I am not familiar with it. I was hoping someone who has worked with this curriculum could give me some basics about it. Thanks so much!

:):thanks:

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

I use the program at my school, but honestly it's just a very basic reading program. It has it's basal readers (which we don't really use too much, we only use 4 of the stories throughout our school year). We do use the spelling program with it, but I feel that it is much too "young" for my 5th graders, for example the words for the first unit are:

Army Starve Sear Garbage Argue
    Apartment Guitar Arkansas Hamburger Return
    Purpose Surface Curl Purse Furniture
    Courage Journal Courtesy Nourish Journey

I feel that these words are good for some of the students, but I had a lot of students that were just completely bored by these lists. I knew they didn't need to study to get a 100 every week. So this year I will be creating other lists to challenge those students.

I don't really know what else I could say about the program. My teacher books are broken down to 6 editions and each one has a theme. (sports, family, culture & tradition) I'm not really sure what the other themes are though.

I know this definitely didn't answer your question, but that's all I can really think of! Sorry :(

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I have used Scott Foresman as well. (We have swithed to Treasures now) As the other poster mentioned you get 6 teacher books complete with lessons that go with the basals. You also get small books for guided reading and other teacher resources such as take-home books, teacher resource books, cassette tapes for a listening center, some phonics things,etc. It really is a nice system. The only issue is when we used it the stories in the readers were boring for the kids. Our new readers are more up to date. I still use the basals for my listening centers and the guided reading books on occasion. If you go to http://www.sfreading.com/ you can see some of the things.