science textbooks

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by dunwool, Nov 12, 2009.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

My school has no science curriculum (except FOSS kits) and I was wondering what your schools use and what your thoughts are on the curricula. I am a first year teacher and have just been put in charge of finding science textbooks and curriculum materials for third and fourth grade... YIKES! :eek: I am excited but a little nervous since I don't have much experience with teaching science! Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

3. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Dec 31, 2009

see if they would be interested in using CSCOPE

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

I can't offer any help - except to say that if I had to choose between hands-on kits and a book - I would go for the kit! I used to teach in a district w/ SCIS (Sci Curric Improvmt Study??) and LOVED the kit approach. Kids loved it, I loved it - granted the prep work was way more than with a text, but then it was also so much more meaningful!! I have been on 3 science adoption committees - both as a parent and as teacher. I wasn't successful - the almighty dollar spoke stronger than I did, since the textbook company made it seem like we were getting a real deal...wrong - the kids suffer!
    :eek: Sorry - as someone said - stepping away from my podium now...