Science Teachers: How Do You Organize Your Curriculum?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Nov 30, 2017.

?

How do you organize your curriculum?

1. Master Copies In A Binder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Electronically Only

100.0%
  3. Other System

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 30, 2017

Secondary science teachers, do you keep master hard copies of your units, in a binder for example? Do you keep hard copies of answer keys? Do you keep both hard and electronic copies?

Essentially, how do you organize your curriculum? I've tried keeping a binder for both master copies and answer keys, but it's been difficult to implement. My electronic file system is a bit unorganized, but generally arranged by unit. Suggestions for a filing structure or system would be so helpful. Looking for advice, tips, suggestions, etc. Thank you for sharing!

3. blazer

blazer Groupie

Nov 30, 2017

These days everything is on the school hard drive accessible to all the dept. Different staff have responsibility for certain areas or topics, they write the lessons then it is shared to everyone. Plus then anyone teaching a lesson written by someone else can add resources to the folder or save an alternative or adapted powerpoint so that the work grows over time.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2017

I save everything to Google Drive so I know where it is. When I get the chance, I organize. When I need material, I print off a fresh copy each time, often tweaked from the last time I used it. Having an old version as a hard copy just seems inefficient to me.

MrsC and DobbyChatt like this.
  5. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Nov 30, 2017

I have everything in Dropbox--organized by unit into folders but that's it. I search through and look at the files and plan as I need. Unit Plans are saved and generally recycled from year to year depending upon what admins want. Old exams are also saved and updated when and if necessary. I don't keep anything "hard copy"--it's just too "extra" as my kids would say.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2017

I agree wholeheartedly. By the end of a week, let alone a school year, I've shuffled enough papers. I do admit to being a little paranoid about keeping everything digital, so I soothe my nerves by having the version on Google Drive, usually have a file saved on my work computer (we have a shared drive available), and I often have folders from the total drive on my desktop as I am in that unit. Periodically I will save to a DVD, for safekeeping, off of the computer, just to make sure that it is available in case my computer dies. Maybe overkill, but I sleep well at night. I don't trust thumb drives in the least, but Google I love. I've seen more than a couple of coworkers have a meltdown when the thumb drive "with everything they own" on it ceases to open, the files lost without a backup. I never got as comfortable with Dropbox, but if I had the time to master it, I am sure it would be wonderful.

7. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 30, 2017

To those who've replied - thank you!

Do you not keep answer keys, or do you scan them in to keep electronically?

8. rpan

rpan Comrade

Dec 1, 2017

I keep the answer key in hard copy only because I sometimes can’t be bothered to scan it to electronic copy and I do like a hard copy to write notes on. But everything else is soft copy. I organise my work in weeks. I write a whole unit of work for each term (the unit of work has everything to be taught for each week, the resources required each week, etc.) and so I organise my electronic folders by week 1, week 2 etc.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2017

Are you talking scan tron? As far as answer keys to the primary work, it's in my head. I can't teach it if I don't know it through and through. I tend to tweak questions from one semester to the next, simply because of the way that classroom discussions/labs played out for each group of kids. Same basic info, but sometimes the frame of reference is a little different.

I don't use scan tron at all, but did in a different district. There, it was limited to mid-terms and finals.

10. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Dec 1, 2017

I got into Dropbox my second year of teaching; this was before I knew about Google Drive. I keep all my assignments in separate folders on Dropbox: Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, and College Biology. I have all of my daily work, quizzes, and tests organized by unit using numbers; a unit is simply all the material leading up to a test. For example, in A&P we are currently covering the Nervous System, which is my 4th unit. So my Dropbox Folder looks like:

(4.1) Action Potential Case Study
    (4.2) Nervous System I Quiz
    (4.3) Reflex Lab
    (4.4) Nervous System II Quiz

This way, everything I do is already present and in the correct order. Since I can have Dropbox on my work and home computer, I can easily manage files at both locations.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2017

I will take note of your labeling system. Looks like it is very efficient. Since I use Google Drive at home and school, it is handy if I need to send in work should I be out. Any organizational tips are keepers, especially if they seem so logical. :thumbs:

12. rpan

rpan Comrade

Dec 1, 2017

I don’t know what scan tron is. I use the usual windows explorer folders because I can access school drives from home using my work issued laptop.

Mine looks like:
    Week 1:
    History of the Atom PPT
    Atomic Structure PPT
    Ted Talk Video - just how small is an atom
    Modelling atomic size worksheet and activity

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2017

When you said the hard copy of the answers, I thought perhaps you were talking about the fill in the circle answer sheets that are electronically scanned for wrong and right answers. I teach with my computer files open. Since I have taught the same subject for a number of years, I don't routinely look at the answer key, but do have side notes in the file about where students may go astray in their thinking, causing them to choose incorrect answers. I actually think that if we work through the answers together on a review, with reasoning for wrong and right answers, they learn more, and acquire better skills at dissecting and understanding which answer truly meets the criteria that the question is testing for.

Many teachers have A, B, C, and D versions of the scan tron answer cards filled out, corresponding to the versions of the test. Saves time filling in the pencil marked circles if the tests are long, such as midterms and finals.