Science Room

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by BioAngel, Aug 30, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 2, 2012

~bumping~

The saga continues... After a year, my school has been able to raise enough funds to redo my science classroom and the science classrooms in the upper school as well. It's been in the plans for 4 years, so most of the design was set in place when I got to my school two years ago. I was able to meet with the architecture and the contractor to discuss what I would like in my classroom-- I'm keeping my cubby area for tote bags and getting a whiteboard instead of a chalkboard (I love to color code things and I hate chalk).

However, the downside was that I was asked to pack up the whole classroom (I had a choice: either me or packers... I'm not going to let random people pack my room! And it needed a really good cleaning)... I was given 2 weeks to do it (while still teaching and going to meetings). I finished it yesterday evening (the last day to work on it) at 6pm. :)

So this is what the room currently looks like....
    http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q40/jerseyangel0307/Packed up classroom/?albumview=slideshow

I think I must have thrown out close to 20 large trash bags. :)

In Aug/Sept, I'll be unpacking the new classroom and I'll update this thread with new pics :thumb:

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Jun 2, 2012

I look forward to seeing the new room. Best of luck.

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 7, 2012

This room looks great and how exciting to be getting a newly redone room.

4. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

I teach fifth grade science and have a love/hate relationship with my room. I love the tile floor because we tend to get very messy with our investigations. I hate that we have hardly any storage space. I'm jealous of everyone with cabinets!!! I basically have one wall of shelves that run half way up the wall for half the wall. These shelves store all our textbooks and some community supplies. No sink in my room also drives me crazy!

I haven't figured out a good arrangement for my tables. I have seven tables and 29-30 kids. They are basically set up with 3 tables on the left side of the room and 4 tables on the right side. All the tables face the front of the room. I'm not crazy about the arrangement, but can't seem to figure out a better way to set it up.

I'll be watching to see what you do with the room!

5. BioAngel

Jun 18, 2012

I'm lucky to have cabinets and the fact that my cabinet space will be doubling next school year. The only thing that really stinks for me is that because I have cabinets on two walls, windows on one wall, and the whiteboard/Smartboard on another wall, I have NO hanging up space what-so-ever. And because of how the principal and headmaster wanted the cabinets to look, it won't be easy for me to tape posts/visuals/student work on to them. So to me: that really stinks. I could probably give up one set of the top cabinets so I could have a bulletin board but that wasn't how the classroom was designed (this was a 4 year process-- I was only here for 2 years of that process so I had limited input).

I would check what your state laws say about things like sinks, etc. If the classroom is the science lab, it has to follow certain standards-- that's why I'm getting more safety gear in my classroom: a chemical shower/eye wash and a safety goggles case to sterilize them/store them, plus I'm going from one sink to 4 sinks. (Which I'm very thrilled about since I'm starting a new chemistry unit next year) If your classroom isn't labeled the science lab then certain standards/laws won't apply to your classroom. But still I would talk to your P and let them know what your needs are to safely do science activities in the room. [If you don't have any sinks, I would purchase some large plastics totes and large pitchers and always have some water on hand]

Do the tables HAVE to face the front of the room? My new classroom design has it like that, but I did ask to have wheels on the tables so I could move them around and have them work in groups. Something I've done is that every month I put the tables together differently around the classroom and see how it works out. I don't take into consideration if a table is or is not facing a board or smartboard-- kids can always turn their chairs around/bodies around to see. And because of that, it shows them it is more about THEM and their work, than me teaching them. (I am lucky that I don't have any classes that are more than 20 students, so I don't have the same issues that you would with a larger class and seating everybody)

I do focus on how large of a group I want my students to work in-- some activities are better done with 3-4 students, some are better done in pairs. What's great is that my new design will have 3 students sitting at a table, which I think is the best grouping over-all. So even if the students will be facing one way, at least they're in small groups together.

These are pictures from my first year of teaching and its in a different classroom, but I wanted to show you one of the arrangements I've used:

[​IMG]

This is a nice one too-- groups (I think at least) shouldn't be bigger than 4 students and I like how the tables are spread out around the classroom too:
    [​IMG]

This is a nice one because once again, the tables are spread out and the materials table (the table that no students work at/sit at, but has all the materials you need for an activity) is placed in the center-- this works very well and helps speed up clean up time:
    [​IMG]

One last tip: Don't feel that your students have to work at tables. For my younger students, we will often push the tables out to the edges of the room and use the middle space to do activities together on the floor. My 3rd graders and 4th graders love doing this-- plus it allows them to do more moving around than being stuck at a table. So you could try that as well-- just make sure you have pants that are easily washed since I tend to get just as messy as the kiddos when we're on the floor. ;)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

How exciting! Good luck with the redesign!

7. BioAngel

Jul 4, 2012

Just wanted to share... I'm tempted to drive out to my school and see if they've done anything on my classroom. But I then a part of me doesn't want to know in case they haven't started yet (will they be finished for Sept!?!) or if its gutted out too much I might freak too. It shouldn't be that difficult... I would think...

Going back is gonna be like waiting for Christmas :p

8. linswin23

linswin23 Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

Wow, your room is so eye-catching!

9. harun55

harun55 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I really missed those days when i was in school and specially science room where i discovered some new ideas.

10. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

I love the maze of desks. And the look and touch center is a really cool idea!

11. BioAngel

Aug 24, 2012

Just updating... cause I'm ready to freak out from stress :) Classroom won't be ready until maybe the day before class starts. The counter tops won't be in until the day before- I'm praying they'll install them that day. I should have my desk and student desks ready... the cabinets should have doors on them so I can put away some stuff.. I just won't have counter tops. LOL

Well if this is the worst thing that happens this school year, I'm going to have an AWESOME year :)

12. BioAngel

Sep 15, 2012

Only thing missing from my classroom- still- are the glass that is suppose to go into the cabinet windows. When I took these, my demo table, av cart, and laptop cart weren't in place. Plus there's some trash hanging around, but the classroom is wonderful. Kids and I love it! :)

[​IMG]

My new blue wall- I didn't know they were planning to do this until I came in to work lol. Two whiteboards and a brand new HUGE Smartboard too (at the time the projector wasn't up). That wall is where I have my demo table and av cart against- my demo table is against the whiteboard on the right (class agendas and schedule goes up there.

[​IMG]

Left-wall with student desks and my teacher nook.

[​IMG]

Mr. Bones :)

[​IMG]

My teacher nook- you can see my demo table but it's a different position now. I'm waiting on a tall chair to be delivered hopefully soon.

[​IMG]

Part of my teacher nook with all my duckies :)

[​IMG]

One of the sinks- I went from 1 sink to 4!!!

[​IMG]

New lower ceiling with modern lighting. I love the lighting because the lights turn off if nobody moves around for awhile and there's an AV setting to make my smartboard look better (and it's better for my eyes too).

[​IMG]

The windows have turned into the "back of the classroom" with a handmade cubby area for our tote bags. I've greatly reduced my science library of books and still have a touch and see area for random run science stuff that kids can play with. Those bins hold student notebooks if I have to do grading or they don't have homework.

[​IMG]

Little student craft area.

[​IMG]

Right side of the classroom- I love the storage area I have on top of the cabinets :)

[​IMG]

New safety glasses storage case with UV light :) I love that I have a proper place to store the safety glasses now. I have to buy a set of 20 safety goggles though.

[​IMG]

View from the blue wall- those student desks are HUGE and heavy. The tops are quartz slabs. Beautiful tables!

[​IMG]

View from my brand new classroom door.

I'm sooo thrilled now that I'm unpacked and teaching again :)

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Sep 15, 2012

Looks awesome.

14. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 15, 2012

So nice! I met with the architect that is designing our new building last year and hope to have many upgrades in my science lab like you! The lighting would also be a major plus for me too... I HATE our florescent lights!

15. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

Your room looks great! I was impressed with the pictures you posted 2 years ago and your upgrades are nice as well. I'm planning on taking a few of these awesome ideas ;)