Science and Social Studies...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by OhThePlaces, Mar 24, 2013.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 24, 2013

How do you squeeze them in (or don't you)?

I took a new position mid-year as a first grade co-teacher. I've been there for 3 weeks now and haven't seen a single science or social studies lesson. We have resources.... Just no time! These kids are ESOL, so we need even more time to devote to language aquisition.

I have a good friend who teaches first in the same district and she sets aside a bit of time on Wednesday and Friday afternoons.

I'm thinking ahead for next year when I will no longer be co-teaching. Where can I find the time? We "integrate" when we can (we just finished writing animal reports, for example) but was wondering what worked for you?

Does anyone have a science or social studies center during readers workshop?

3. bella84

bella84 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

When I taught third grade, my teammate and I would alternate between science and social studies, meaning we only taught one unit at a time. Example: one month on plants, next month on geography, then on to states of matter. Only once did we make the mistake of trying to do both a science and social studies unit at the same time. We quickly nixed that. Later on in the year, as testing approached, we cut back from 45 min per day, four days per week to 30 minutes per day, three days per week. Like you've mentioned, it was really tough to fit in, but we did it. My last unit of the year, I integrated with my literacy block. I thought that worked out better than anything else.

At my current school, I don't teach science or social studies, because I teach sped. However, our grade level teachers all teach "units of study" that incorporate science, social studies, and character ed into their literacy blocks. This is new since common core was introduced. Their schedules only have the following built in: units of study, math, specials, lunch, recess, and intervention. There are no longer content (science and social studies) blocks built in. From what I hear, they much prefer it this way.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

We have little time so I integrate all day long. I put it in my morning message as form of a big idea question (how can we keep the earth healthy? For example) and then our morning read-aloud is directly tied into the big idea as well. Then i have about 20 to 30 minutes small groups so I do guided reading and social studies or science. About two to three times a week I also have about 30 minutes devoted just to social studies ar science. Oh, and this was harder for me in the past but I have gotten so much better at throwing it into math time as one of the centers. Many of my writing prompts address it as well.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2013

We alternate between science and social studies units. One of the subjects is taught 3-4 days a week. I need to get better at integrating, as well...

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 25, 2013

On paper, we alternate between science & social studies. I draw many of the standards from materials I use in reading. I may get slammed for this, but quite often, our science ends up being relegated to a fun Friday activity such as watching a Magic Schoolbus movie or students individually reading books I bring from the library about the subject matters while I take care of reading and math interventions for my lowest sweeties. It's so frustrating, especially for me - someone with a BA in History, and my hubby is a Geologist!

7. bella84

bella84 Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2013

No slamming here. You can only do what you can do. On the plus side, you're turning Fun Friday into more than just game time, which is what mine usually was. :blush:

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

We are all in the same boat. We have so much we are expected to teach and not enojgh time to fit it all in.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

My literacy is centered around science or social studies.
    During 3rd marking period, my literacy block looked like this:
    Martin Luther King- books and reading comprehension work based on him
    Weather- 3 weeks of weather. Fiction (Thunder Cake) and non-fiction texts based on weather. Read science text.
    Black History Month- 2 weeks of reading and learning about important African Americans
    Biographies- 2 weeks of learning about biographies and timelines.
    Sound- 2 weeks of sound- read from science text, books on sound

The bad thing about this format is that I don't get to spend a lot of time doing 'author studies', but I get all the content in.

10. cateste

cateste Companion

Mar 27, 2013

integrating SS, sci, ESL

Listen and Read at scholastic.com has free, online, nonfiction titles on SS and science for 1st and 2nd graders. The kids can read &/or listen along to the stories.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/commclub/index.htm

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2013

Wow! Thanks.

12. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 28, 2013

Thanks! I appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one struggling to fit everything in.