School uniforms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 8, 2009

The city schools that I sub in went to uniforms this year and I was just wondering what you all think of them. This is the uniform policy and may I add this for public school:

Clothing
    - Shorts and pants for boys must be khaki or navy blue. Cargo pants or pants with pockets below the hip are unacceptable. Although, corduroy fabric is permitted.
    - Uniform bottoms for girls include khaki or navy blue pants, shorts, skirts, jumpers, skorts and capris.
    - Shirt colors vary depending on school cluster. Solid white and navy blue are acceptable in both School clusters. Students in the North cluster can add maroon and gold to their choices of top colors, while students in the South side cluster can wear red and black shirts. Acceptable styles of shirts include polo shirts, button front oxfords, turtlenecks and blouse-type shirts with short or long sleeves.
    - All tops must be tucked in as part of the uniform, although tucking is optional for kindergarten and first-grade students.
    - A small logo that can be covered with a quarter is acceptable on a shirt.
    - No cargo pants or pants with pockets below the hips on both boys and girls.
    - No sagging nor excessively tight clothing.
    - Khaki is defined as light tan.
    - Belts must be black, brown or navy with a small- to medium-sized buckles.
    - “Spirit shirts” are allowed on designated Fridays with a principal’s approval. Bottoms must still adhere to the uniform policy.

On the feet
    - Shoes must be tennis shoes or fully-enclosed shoes with straps strapped, buckles buckled and laces tied. Laces must all be the same color.
    - Heels should be no higher than 2 inches.
    - Socks, hosiery and tights must be black, white, brown or navy blue.

Outerwear
    - Coats, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, sweater vests are outerwear and must be worn with shirts underneath.
    - Sweater vests should have no logo, no belt attached and no hood, and the shirt collar underneath a sweatshirt should be on the outside.
    - Coats and jackets should zip or button.

What Not to Wear
    - No wind pants or sweatpants
    - No hooded sweatshirts
    - No denim or jean fabric
    - No overalls or bellbottoms
    - No carpenter’s pants

I changed The Highschool name to either southside or Northside so people would not who I am if they are from this area too!

3. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Oct 8, 2009

I worked in a school with uniforms and personally I hated it. I think it's a good idea, but I hated having to enforce it. And then there were no real consequences to not abiding by the uniform code either. They got an infraction letter the parents were to sign but that was it! Our admin sucked at backing us up. Ugh.

I'm glad to be in a uniform-free school now though. But I'm trying to accumulate my own work "uniform" of shirts with our school name/logo on them and lots of khaki pants because I hate choosing outfits every day. :lol:

4. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

This policy is deficient. There is no space for the student's identification. I would recommend adding two 5x8 cards to the uniform, to include the student's last name in letters no less than two inches high.

They also need to limit fishnet or other decorative-type hosiery, and set date limits on when shorts may be worn. They should also limit shoe color (just wait until some kid shows up with bright yellow shoes and then points out there's nothing about it in the code). They should also restrict any sequins or other decorative items added to any clothing.

I mean, do they really think the kids can handle all the freedom their code gives?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

I attended a private school & had to wear this plaid uniform from 1st through 6th grade. I didn't mind it, I'd rather it happen during those grade levels than when I was in middle & HS when people are teenagers & really want to dress how they want.

At least I didn't have to worry about what I was going to wear everyday for those yrs.

If I'm subbing at a school who has them, it wouldn't bother me one way or the other, but if I was a permanent teacher, I could see how it may be a problem to enforce it & have to write up people for not wearing the right things.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

I mostly just feel bad for overweight kids being forced to tuck shirts in, etc. As a former fat girl, this was basically always my worst nightmare. That and gym clothes that we were REQUIRED to wear, with no exceptions, and that only went up to size large for girls. Yeah. Thanks school. I was scarred for life having to fit size 14 me into tiny, very short, skimpy knit gym shorts 2+ sizes too small. At least it provided lots of entertainment for the rest of the class. And they wondered why I always cut gym class?

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2009

Molly. I know the pain. My sports team uniform only went up to a 12--and I was not a 12 or a 14.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2009

I'm in a Catholic school, and enforcing our uniform is part of what I do. It's really not a big deal, I can ask kids to tuck in a shirt of fix a tie using gestures, so it doesn't even interrupt my lesson.

That said, my kids go to public school and wear what they want. (Well, more like they choose from among clothes I've deemed OK.) So I fight with my 9 year old all spring and fall about the fact that she can NOT wear flip flops (not safe in the event of a fire, and I really dont care if "everyone else is wearing them!!" ) But my kids do NOT wear overly tight or baggy clothes, nothing that could be misconstrued as gang-oriented, or clothes with writing across their "private parts."

I wonder how much of Ms. I's dress code is to keep the gang culture down. (I'm guessing because of the very specific references to particular colors.)

9. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Oct 8, 2009

We don't have uniforms, but we did provide every student in the district with a district T-shirt (provided by local businesses). On the day that the students had their shirts on, a fight broke out in the hallway. School policy is to always review surveillance video in any violent act because while both students are reprimanded, if one clearly instigated the fight the punishment is stronger for that one. I was a big advocate for uniforms until we sat around a monitor that afternoon trying to pick the 2 blue shirts from the fight out of the crowd of 400 blue shirts in the surveillance video.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 8, 2009

I'm in a public school and we've had uniforms for years. It's suppsed to keep the poor kids from looking like poor kids but they still do. Some wear used uniforms which are worn out and stained, there's no clause in the handbook for their clothes to look crisp and clean. I enjoy seeing my kids in real clothes at ball games and in town but I'm glad I don't have to deal with the ghetto look or t-shirts with poor tasting statements.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

The school I teach has a pretty stringent dress code compared to some schools, but it is just things like no hoods, no sweats, no bandanas, must have sleeves, no low/vee necks, nothing ripped, no writing on tees, etc. Some kids try to test it, but for the most part, they all fall in line and still manage to dress like teenagers and individuals. A lot of kids seem to mostly wear jeans and school or Old Navy tees. Even though there is a pretty big gulf between haves and have nots, they mostly wear the same (reasonable priced) clothes.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 8, 2009

Most public schools in Chicago have uniforms. They do it mostly for the gangs and I think now for the inappropriate clothes kids wear.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 8, 2009

I would love a dress code and I am truely hoping we go to one next year. It's been in the talks for a few weeks now due to behavior. I've worked in a uniform school and I thought it was great! I like that atleast they were specific in the one described.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

I went from teaching in 2 small public schools (no uniform) to teaching in a Catholic school (6 times larger) WITH a uniform. It scared me at first. I was worried that it would prevent me from getting to know the students as well-as fast.

You see... I was the music teacher...so I had to meet, teach, and KNOW all 660 students.

But a strange thing happened. I DID get to know them...for THEMSELVES. Not for the pretty ribbons in their hair, or their fashion sense (or lack of it), not for the fanciness of their clothes or their worn-out knees...but for THEMSELVES!

They showed their individuality through their personalities and through their work - where the emphasis SHOULD be placed. It was one less frivolous thing to be judged on. I LIKED it!

On their planned uniform-free days (maybe 2 or 3 times a year) - when I expected loose play clothes or the casual jeans and a slogan tee....I was greeted with really nice and stylish clothing. Party or fashion magazine clothes. What a great looking bunch of kids.

Given the choice (having seen it both ways)...I would choose the uniforms.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 9, 2009

I had a student who was out of the classroom the other day because she had holes in her pants. She came to get her work, but there really wasn't any. We were silently reading our library books, then doing a peer-review of the short stories we're writing, then doing a quick-write about some nonfiction that is on the computer. There's no real way for her to make that up! So sometimes I think we go a little overboard with enforcing a dress code.

I would prefer a dress code like at the high school I attended:
    jeans, khakis, or navy slacks (or skirts to the knee) with polo or oxford-style shirts in any shade. Shirt must be tucked in, and you must have blue, black, or brown shoes and belt. It gave some more freedom in color, but kept the style consistent.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 9, 2009

The dress code at my HS:
    No sandals, no distracting articles of clothing or hair, no hoop earrings in gym class, no big hoop earrings, skirts had to go down close to the top of the knee, no offensive stuff (i.e. alcohol companies or slogans), and I think that was it

17. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

The surrounding counties have uniforms; however, my county does not. We tried to adopt a uniform policy, but the parents fought it. A lot of people don't understand all of the gang violence that is happening in the high schools. As for enforcing it, I have asked teachers in the other counties and they said that you have to be strict in the first few weeks of school and get on top of the parents but after that it dies down and they wear what they need to wear. I would like to see uniforms (not only for my sanity with my own children "no you can't wear that today" but for the sake of not having to see the same Lil Miss Hollywood shirt for a week or the Barack Star shirt for three days. I know i will still have clothing mishaps with uniforms (shoe tying, belts, etc) but perhaps parents would spend a few more minutes getting their child dressed if they knew it was a strict uniform policy.

18. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2009

Weird isn't it. US schools think unforms are great whereas in British schools the kids absolutly hate them and use them as tool of rebellion at every opportunity. Countless hours of grief are experienced over here trying to force kids to wear the correct uniform or to wear the uniform in the correct manner. Don't even get me started about makeup policies!

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 10, 2009

My school has a strict uniform policy & I love it. Jumpers with pale yellow shirts for the girls. Green pants & yellow shirt for the boys. The jumpers are plaid & have ties. The boys also wear ties. Shirts tucked in & if the pants have belt loops then belts must be worn.

I thin it's just what you're used to. My own kids would rebel if they had to wear uniforms!