School supply shopping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

My parents were/are similar. I've got five brothers and my mum home schooled us until basically 7/8th grade. We always had everything we needed, and a little bit of what we wanted. If we wanted extra we cut grass did something to earn a wee crumb extra. My parents had six head of youngins to feed and everything and a Sergeant's pay only goes so far. My mum was a seamstress (and still is, actually) and if we absolutely needed extra she'd go to the churches on Sundays to make extra clothes for people.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2018

The issue with saying that families should always pay is that there are always going to be families who will not pay, and it often falls on the teacher. I do believe that students should come to school with paper, pencils, and a binder, but schools need to find a way to fund supplies for kids who don't bring any.

I find it appalling that many students are also told to buy tissues, hand sanitizer, and copy paper (and that many teachers buy these items too). The school should provide these items. I was talking to a friend who was telling me how her company would reimburse her if she drove through tolls to get to work. Meanwhile, my mentor teacher had to purchase her own stapler and staples this year.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2018

I've always wondered: with so many individual students/families going out and buying individual supplies: would it perhaps be more cost effective to buy things in bulk? One thing of note is that the poorer family might not have the resources / time to go seek out and find the perfect sales for everything (or really, any family). However, a district working with a supplier or whatnot could probably get items for rather cheap, relative to non-amazing-sales at the stores. It would seem to help reduce the amount of times a teacher has to whine about different types of pencils other than Ticonderoga, too ;)

And with regards to students who receive free services/whatnot but have a phone or have shoes that might seem like they cost a lot -- I've learned to assume the best intentions in situations, and wait until I know the whole story before I judge.

To future --> curiosity: do you itemize or anything similar with your taxes (i.e. due to donations made to a charity or using particular space as a working space...)?

Ms.Holyoke, phillyteacher and a2z like this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2018

I sure hate the idea of parents working multiple jobs and constantly being away from their children just so that they can afford school supplies. Time is valuable, too, and family time especially so. Maybe our kids would do better in school and in life if their parents were more present, not having to pick up extra shifts in order to afford the basics all the time. I don't mind my tax dollars going to struggling families so that a parent doesn't have to take on a second or third job just to make ends meet.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 2, 2018

I still haven't received what I see as a good reason that families should be expected to buy supplies when school attendance is mandatory and dictated by the government. The only two reasons I have really see was my family managed and why should the taxpayers have to buy supplies. First is not why and second is odd since the taxpayer foots the bill for the mandated attendance.

phillyteacher and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Aug 2, 2018

So should they look like a ragamuffin if they qualify for free things? I would never ask students at a "super low SES school" how much their clothes cost!

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    a2z likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 2, 2018

I donate to various charities ($100 here, $200 there to Shriner’s Children Hospital, ASPCA, Salvation, Good Will, St. Jude, etc.), but it is always less than the standard deduction, so I do not itemize.

10. futuremathsprof

Aug 2, 2018

I’m not saying they should look dirty and unkempt, but if they can afford an iPhone, Easies, and PacSun backpacks, then they can also afford paper and pencils.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2018

Again - I always prefer to wait to assume until I know the whole picture/story. Plus, one individual does not describe the whole.

12. futuremathsprof

Aug 2, 2018

I still haven’t found a good reason why students can afford to go local fairs, go with friends to the movies, shop on iTunes frequently, buy video games, etc., but they can’t afford a $0.79 bottle of Purrell and a $1 pack of pencils. You’re right, that’s going to break the bank.

13. futuremathsprof

Aug 2, 2018

It’s more than just one individual. It’s many. Not all, of course, but you know it’s a much higher number than that.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 2, 2018

Nice deflection. I guess you can't answer my question.

mathmagic likes this.
  15. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2018

All I can say about this conversation is that I'm very glad many of you are not responsible for teaching my students/ my own children.

I recommend this piece if you can handle some profanity: https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...e-wealthy-if-we-stopped-buying-jor-1822521825

If you can't, try this one: https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2015/01/02/poverty-self-denial-and-new-nikes/

Or this one: https://www.weareteachers.com/how-people-in-poverty-spend/

It also reminds me of the falsity that if millennials would just stop buying fancy lattes they'd be able to afford to buy houses. :rolleyes: