School supply shopping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Jul 29, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

Thank you, TeacherGroupie. Nice explanation regarding California.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2018

Anne D. Gordon delves exhaustively into the history - legislative and judicial, but also general history - of the issue in "California constitutional law: The right to an adequate education" (2016). It can be consulted online here.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 1, 2018

I’m saying why stop at free school supplies? They have just about everything else. Why not just make college free, too? Maybe free cars? How about a living stipend?

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

Aug 1, 2018

Well, the rich are paying for themselves and the poor.

6. futuremathsprof

Aug 1, 2018

I will say this is a beautifully written post and I want to make clear that I think ALL students should receive a free public education regardless of their ability to pay.

When I was in public schools, and I went to a lot of different schools because I am a part of a military family, graphing calculators were provided by the schools I attended as I sure as heck couldn’t afford one. I thought that was standard across the board. Even in the surrounding public schools where I work, TI-calculators are provided for all students in advanced math classes.

Also, my fees to apply to colleges were all waived and I only had to pay $5 to take AP tests.

I just don’t see how $5 here and there (most impoverished students don’t take AP classes or take just a few) and maybe $50/year in school supplies can break a poor family (my parents never made more than $40,000 combined) when they spend more than that on other non-essentials like expensive smartphones and sneakers that cost $250/pair or more.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

Because the government doesn't mandate that you drive a car, go to college, etc. They do mandate that all children 5 - 18 attend school or demonstrate that they are being educated.

You would have a stronger case about free things if your problem wasn't with something the government mandates. My position is that the government requires attendance or demonstration of education under the penalty of fine or jail for the parents. If they are requiring it they should be responsible for the costs - including necessary supplies. If the supplies aren't necessary, why would parents be required to buy them?

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

Darn my tax dollars had to pay for a lot of free things for your family!

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    bella84, futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2018

a2z likes this.
  11. futuremathsprof

Aug 1, 2018

Actually, my parents refused to accept government services outside of postal, bus transit, and public education. My parents bought all of my school supplies and clothes, they didn’t accept donations, they paid for our health insurance (they hated the idea of Medicare), they bought all of our food (they refused foodstamps), and they paid for all of my field trip expenses. My mother often would get a second part-time job if we needed something extra or had to pay for something unexpected. They don’t believe in government assistance and neither do I outside of the bare minimum. We often did without because they refused help go any kind. All of these things contributed to my relentless pursuit of wealth acquisition.

My parents always say, “If you can not afford something, then you do without it. If you want something that badly, get a job and if that job doesn’t pay enough then get a second job.” They resent people who abuse the system and people who rely on government for survival if they are able-bodied.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

Aug 1, 2018

I have no problem with a free public education. I just don’t think it is monetarily crippling to buy school supplies.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  13. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

So you agree with the supplies because your poor parents had to come up with the money for your supplies, except expensive calculators and testing fees.

Why do you feel it is acceptable for the government to mandate students to school but not pay for what is required to benefit from that education?

I resent the government mandating something of the citizens and then not providing what is required to access that mandate fully.

14. futuremathsprof

Aug 1, 2018

I edited my initial post because it did not grammatically make sense to me.

The Dollar Store has awesome school sales. Walmart, too. Concerning the latter, I see bins there all the time where you can get a TON of school supplies that will last you the year for like $10-15. $10-$15 does not prevent you from receiving a good education.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

Woo hoo, kids don't need to bring supplies because they can get a good education without them.