School Selection&Interning :[

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Hello.Mitra, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

I will be applying for my internship next semester, and am worried about several of the questions on the application...

From the gist of everything, it seems as if my university does NOT want me to intern at a school I have done service learning or any volunteering at, and yet asks for a preferred school for interning. I'm being a brat and totally disagree, but I can see where they're coming from, not wanting to confine a student to just one school because there are so many different school settings, etc.

I still want to try and fight the system!

Should I "accidentally" forget to mention one of the schools I have volunteered at and list it as my desired school? Or should I be a good little student teacher and suffer with them throwing me into a random school?

3. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

if you dont need to tell them about the hours you spent at that school, then I would just leave it out and place them in your top priority....trust me, you dont want to leave it to the placement coordinator to spin the wheel and send you to the wrong setting and teacher

4. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

if you have done the observations for a class then you need to put it all on the application. my university is one of the top education universities around where I live and has one of the highest ncate scores in the country and they take our program seriously so I guess I have been programed to suspect all of the what ifs because they hold us to such high standards. but our school the head chair of the education dept has a file on ever single education student that has specific papers in it. If a class requires so many observation hours then we obviously have to have a form signed by our teacher we observed coordinating the time and it has their school and the principal's name and an email and phone number and all of that is kept in this file along with copies of the reflection papers that were graded by our professors. during my education program entrance interview my advisor actually asked me questions pertaining to one of my observations like what I thought of the school and stuff that I had already written in black and white and he had already read. so be careful fighting the system it could fight back.

I have also already had 3 assigned placements with my practicum last year and i this year and I am going into my fourth and I have yet to encounter an unpleasant human being actually all that I have had have been Great!!!! so leaving it up to the draw may not be so bad because there are so many great teachers out there.
    now if you have a school that you do not wish to teach at you can tell a little white lie and say that you have a half brother or sister or niece that attends there or something that might deter them from placing you there but nothing to traceable.

5. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 18, 2008

When I applied to my intern program, I applied very late. It was July, and the program started in August. I was happy to just GET a placement. That being said, the school was AWFUL. There were two other interns there from a different program who had had the opportunity to look at the school in the spring, I never had the chance to even step foot in the school before the first day of school. The teachers were mean, they would look the other way when you walked down the hall, they labeled me and each other, they would only talk amongst their grade levels, they would leave as soon as the bell rang at the end of the day. And I'm not talking one or two... I'm talking many, the principal was very difficult to read. My point is, now I am student teaching at a WONDERFUL school where I have all of the support I need from both faculty and administration. Would I appreciate it as much if I hadn't had the experience I had during my internship. No way. Take the random school. Even if it isn't what you want- it WILL be an AMAZING learning experience and you will absolutely benefit from it. Your school is requesting you to do things this way for a reason- you will see it in the end.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2008

I think it depends on what you hope to get from the program.

I would imagine their intent is to make you a better teacher-- to break you out of your comfort zone and expose you to a wide variety of everything. Not every teacher gets to teach in a wonderfully supportive environnment. Not everyone has kids who show up, devoid of problems at home, with homework done and pencils sharpened.

I would imagine your school wants to expose you to a wide variety of school cultures, in order to best prepare you for the jobs you may be applying for next year.

In essence, it boils down to a choice: you can have a easy internship, or an easy first year. They're trying to prepare you just in case your first year isn't all you hope. You may "suffer with a random school" this year, but you'll be far better prepared next year when the safety net of a Cooperating Teacher isn't there.

But lying, even if it's by omission, on an application is probably not your best move.