School out of compliance?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by resourcestress, Apr 9, 2018.

1. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 9, 2018

i have a student with a dedicated aide, for health reasons, today he didn't have an aide for 1/2 the day. When the student was in my class I emailed my admin, the person in charge of the aides, that one needs to be placed, his dedicated aide was out. I had to email 3 times and finally copied it to the director of instruction. The reply I finally got was 3 aides were out and there were no subs. Are they out of compliance? I would love to report to state, our admin in sped could can less about the students. Thoughts?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 9, 2018

I am not sure if they are out of compliance, but I would tread carefully. If this is a routine occurence, I would say, by all means, report it! If it was a one time thing, I probably wouldn't be making waves.

Zelda~* and czacza like this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Apr 9, 2018

My school has been out of compliance by not having an aide for four months. Sigh.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2018

More failings with the current school system. Just lovely.

resourcestress likes this.
  6. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 10, 2018

7. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 10, 2018

Thanks everyone!! I'll keep quiet. Why do educators especially special Ed so silent about infractions?? I kills me, but I don't know what to do.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 10, 2018

I would document the number of times it happens. If there truly were no subs available, though, then there's not a lot that could've been done. It has happened to us, too, with our 1:1 aides.

If this is ongoing, I'd respectfully "cc" the Director of SpEd along with whoever is above him letting them know your concern for the child.

Backroads and mathmagic like this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Apr 10, 2018

I'm a student teacher.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 10, 2018

Some schools never get subs for aides. :(

In OP's case, it is even more serious because the aide is needed for a medical condition.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 11, 2018

Yes, it happens at my school too. We are supposed to keep a certain staff to student ratio but sometimes there's just not enough people in the building. If emailing didn't produce any results after the first 1 or 2 maybe you should have made some phone calls. What would you propose they do if this happens again? Take another aide out of another classroom for your student? Does a health aide need take priority over others?

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2018

All kinds of wacky things happen. My second year we didn't even have a special ed teacher until January because they couldn't find one. When I asked, what about the kids who have IEPS and need to get serviced by a Sped teacher, I was told, "they're not.'' And if parents has questions or comments to just direct them to admin. So by the time they hired SB, the poor lady had to work twice as hard - being the only Special Ed teacher -- and trying to play "catch up.'' It sucked for her especially since all of these teachers flooded her with requests to test their kids for sped. Yeah, she didn't stay at the school. She worked for for the spring semester and then resigned. ELLS are also supposed to spend time being instructed by a TESOL certified teacher, but in my area there aren't any so they're really scrambling and scraping at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's partly because they're just not putting in the effort to actively recruit teachers (as it's been a very WHITE and English speaking region) so there hasn't been a need... but they need to get it together because the demographic is changing. Simply-- and related-- a lot of kids don't get the instruction/ instructor/ or services that they need.

:(

13. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 12, 2018

Wow, that's rough

14. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 12, 2018

I have a copy of the master schedule for sped teachers and aides, it's posted on our school drive. There are aides sitting in classes with 1-3 students for minor support, they can/should be pulled in an emergency.

15. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 12, 2018

Did, nothing happened, s cc'd the director of instruction, nothing happened.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2018

"The Wild West.''

17. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 13, 2018

My first question would be what are the health needs? (I'm not expecting you to answer this question on a forum but that would be where I would start.) The reason for the question is how much of the EA time is essential? In other words, many EA schedules provide more support than is minimally legally required. I would certainly want to know what the minimum legal needs of my student were before I started making waves.

resourcestress likes this.
  18. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 16, 2018

That's rough!

19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2018

Life in the "Wild West.''