School lunch?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Koriemo, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

We've got a similar situation at my school. I used to eat in the cafeteria when I first started working here, because the food was made from scratch and so, so good. Now, though, it's all processed, microwaved garbage. I haven't eaten school food in years because of this. I would rather go without than eat that stuff. I'm not even a very picky eater, and I don't mind junk food at times, but the stuff here is just nasty and gross. No thanks!

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

I'm assuming you don't have very many students who receive free/reduced lunch?

3. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Dec 5, 2014

Interesting to read the other posts. The Title 1, 100% free lunch school I used to work at had awful lunches... the cheapest food you can buy. Lots of bread and beige-colored items, weird looking meat, neon orange cheese. But they *did* have a salad bar (as if kids even touched it). We also had free breakfast/snack provided, which was always sugary junk food, but it at least tasted better than lunch.

My current charter school is the complete opposite. Lunch is catered in by a company that has local and organic produce -- I'm LOL-ing just typing that. The parents are required to send at least 2 snacks, and usually it's something like organic granola bars, fruit/veggies, or other "health food" items.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

About 650

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 5, 2014

Dang!!! That is awesome, how do they make that happen?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

We have some, not many....we are a high SES district
    great PTO RUNS IT ALL.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2014

It's funny - our school lunch was much better before all of the healthy lunch reforms. We had an amazing salad bar. We had taco bar day. We had the BEST man-n-cheese. We had veggies and fresh fruit every day.

Now everything comes out of a can. Everything is prepackaged for portion control. Our ladies try, but with the budget and the guidelines, it's hard.

(But the baked chicken is still really, really good).

We also found out that we can no longer sell junk food at our carnival at the end of the year. Sheesh. It's one day out of the year! Let the kids have popcorn and hot dogs and slushies!