SCHOOL Informtation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mairak, Mar 6, 2018.

1. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 6, 2018

Hello Everyone,

Please answer if you do have any information.
    I have masters in School Counseling and I am suppose to teach 3 years (classroom experience) before I can apply for school counseling jobs. I want to know if Teachers Aid/Assistant is something that I can do and will that count towards my "classroom experience" or I have to be a teacher. It's just way to many steps for that.

Please do answer if you have information about it or any other information that can help me! I want to start working as a counselor soon!

Thank You

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2018

Aide positions aren't usually considered as teaching positions. Are you from the US?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 14, 2018

Yes. Texas!

5. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 14, 2018

Shouldn't you be directing your question to the appropriate state credentialing department for a definitive answer? They will also be able to provide you with the other options that are available to you.

czacza likes this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

7. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 18, 2018

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 19, 2018

Your answer will be better directed towards your state credentialing board, or another such agency. They'll be better able to give you specific advice on your situation. If they require three years teaching experience though, I'd expect a TA position would not cut it.

For what it's worth, none of the guidance counselors I've ever worked with in Virginia have ever had classroom teaching experience. That seems like an odd requirement.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 19, 2018

I do not know the answer to your question, but I do know that in my area that aides (while valuable resources) do NOT have the same responsibility, accountability and workload as teachers.

In my state you do not have to teach prior to becoming a school counselor.

teacherintexas likes this.
  10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 19, 2018

You didn’t see the part about needing classroom teaching experience?

You’ll need to be a teacher for at least two years if you expect to get certified as a counselor.

And no, an aide is nothing like being a classroom teacher. It’s not even close.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Been There likes this.
  11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 21, 2018

Do you really trust non-counselors in different states to know the answer to your question? Did you even bother to click on the link to the TEA - the one that teacherintexas provided? It clearly states the classroom teaching requirement for the school counselor certificate:
    • Have two years of classroom teaching experience in a public or accredited private school.
    Now that two of us read it for you, does that answer your question? Why don't you just pick up the phone and call for more info?

12. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Yes! That's exactly how it should be to be honest. I spend so much time and energy in the masters program to teach? That's just a very dumb rule (sorry no offense). I am sad. TX needs to really change that law. it's not helping anyone and it's just putting more stress on people who are trying to get into administrative side of education. Thank you for all your help!
    I have a friend in Georgia and she graduated and found a counselors job already!

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 26, 2018

Shouldn't your TEA approved counselors program have already assessed your teaching experience? I am assuming you are in a TEA approved program.

"4. Have Two School Years of Classroom Teaching Experience in a Public or Accredited Private School Note: The teaching experience is evaluated by the counselor preparation program. For questions contact the counselor preparation program you plan to attend. Classroom teacher means an educator who is employed by a school district and who, not less than an average of four hours each day, teachers in an academic instructional setting or a career and technology instructional setting. Out-of-state teaching experience can be considered. Substitute teaching experience would not normally be accepted for certification purpose."

14. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

WOW! you don't have to be rude! I did my research before posting a question here. I was just asking if anyone have any information about TA since it doesn't say anything about that on it. There's always something for example: some schools do hire your even if you didn't do the TEXES exam and are taking it within 6 months. It's not mentioned anywhere on any TEA sites is it... but it's happening, so I was just trying to clear the air. Isn't that's why we are all here to help each other and share from experiences.
    When I said "it still didn't answer question". I was just wondering if ANYONE here is going through the same thing or have any other information regarding what TEA is saying.
    Thank you for the clear picture and for "reading it to me" appreciate it!!

AND YES I DID PICK UP MY PHONE WITH MY HANDS AND CALLED! Thanks for letting me know that I can do that! :)

15. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you! I will call the counselor preparation program to get more information! I really appreciate the reply. I am new to education system so just trying to gather as much as I can.

16. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Than you! :)

17. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 26, 2018

Brutal honesty alert: I’m not listening to an administrator without teaching experience, and I’m not alone. When hiring a principal a few years ago, we had a candidate with four years of experience and one with fifteen. The veteran teacher got the position. The other candidate was hired at another campus and the staff hated the guy. They said he didn’t understand what teaching was like.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2018

Some classroom experience could benefit you, OP. Your posts don't convey excellent communication skills, which are vital as a counselor. Perhaps a few years of classroom experience, if you can get them, will improve this and other needed skills.

20. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 29, 2018

well to answer your question I do have classroom experience but not 3 years of it. I ended up taking care of my kids by being a stay at home mom while my husband was traveling/working. I apologize if I made you feel like I am an arrogant person. I meant to say I would rather start and get into what I really would love to enjoy and do. Maybe you won't listen to an administrator with no experience but I have or had no problem listening to an administrator (not that we tell you to do something out of the blue) but we are trained professional and trying to do our job. Every job requirements are different so you don't have to judge a person by saying "oh no teaching experience...I am not listening". It's like kids saying we are not going to listen to a entry level teacher because she has no experience or a new parents saying how can I take care of a kid I don't have any experience of being a parent. I believe you learn every and each day even if one has a 15 years of experience in teaching does not mean that person can be a good counselor or a principal. You really need passion to do these things.
    To be honest I just posted that to get some answers not to piss anyone or to get on anyone's bad side. Again I apologize for anything I said that made you feel that I am being rude. My intentions were clear.
    I hope we are good now. I don't want you to be mad or upset on my replies. Enjoy rest of your day!

Thank you for all the help you did.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  21. mairak

mairak Rookie

Mar 29, 2018

Thank you. I appreciate the honesty and I would definitely try to work on that!