School board seeks to own student, teacher created materials

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. H2O, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mrs. H2O

Mrs. H2O Rookie

Feb 7, 2013

From the Washington Post:

What do you think of this proposal?

I know that if you are an employee of a company, anything you create as part of doing your job for that company is considered their property.

However, this has never been the case in education. Should it be? (Personally, I'm not a fan. It seems as if the school board is trying to get a bigger piece of the pie, so to speak...)

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Feb 7, 2013

Not a fan. First, I've already had trouble with my lessons being used in lower grades. Second, what about the kid who enters an art or writing contest ands wins a cast prize? Does the school district get the money?

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2013

The difference between the company owning the rights and a school district owning them is that when you work for a company you are doing tasks to benefit them. In education; it is about doing tasks to benefit the students (or so we say). And the student work, they are not "owned" or employed by a school, this should have no merit.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2013

Unknown in K-12, maybe, but increasingly standard in universities: I know of at least one system whose contract with adjuncts specifies that the rights to all works created while one teaches a course belong to the university.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2013

I think it stifles creativity.:2cents:

7. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 7, 2013

:tired:

So stupid.

8. Mrs. H2O

Mrs. H2O Rookie

Feb 7, 2013

This is exactly what I was thinking.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2013

frstrtdteacher, what do you intend by this?

10. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 7, 2013

From the article: "Board Chair Verjeana M. Jacobs (District 5) said she and Vice Chair Carolyn M. Boston (District 6) attended an Apple presentation and learned how teachers can use apps to create new curricula. The proposal was designed to make it clear who owns teacher-developed curricula created while using apps on iPads that are school property, Jacobs said."

When a district is spending time trying to collect on things I designed for my classroom and students using their precious iPad, well, it's time I look elswhere. That's just absurd.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2013

If this happened in my district, I just wouldn't create anything for my students. We'd only use materials that were created by the textbook company. Sad, probably not what's best for students, but necessary.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2013

I couldn't agree more. If I lost the rights to distribute my work as I choose then I would stop creating new lessons. If I stopped creating new lessons I'd quit my job.

13. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 7, 2013

What do I think? WHAT DO I THINK??? I think it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! God, what is the world coming to?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 8, 2013

I create a lot of materials at home on my own time so I definitely do not agree with this.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Feb 8, 2013

Or you could say "Oh, I created this on the side for my brother-in-law. Not for the school. Just happened to bring it in today..." :whistle:

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Feb 8, 2013

If they REALLY want to own all of my lesson materials, they can come to my classroom, go through ALLLLL my files and make a copy every darned thing on their own time. Meanwhile I'll be sure to have backup electronic copies at home.

17. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 8, 2013

I once went to a "training" offered by my district. The presenter had us choose different standards from the common core standards and write lesson plans for them. I'm thinking, okay, we'll write them up and then we'll get feedback and/or discuss how to improve from there. As the day went on, things just seemed... off. I finally figured out that he was going to collect our work, put it together, and publish it as a resource for other teachers! All without telling us! Needless to say, my motivation and effort stopped at that point.

I think I would've given some effort if a) he had told us this up front and b) he would include our names as contributors.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2013

That's not appropriate, Rox. I hope you ratted him out to whoever at the district engages presenters.

19. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Feb 9, 2013

Think of the websites that exist where teachers can share their materials with other teachers, some for free, some for a price. As a new teacher, I have enjoyed using these sites for ideas or to outright grab the material to use. Some teachers are doing quite well with selling their materials; this would end if the districts own the materials.

I agree, this would definitely hurt creativity, there is no motivation to create materials if they just go somewhere else.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2013

Could they even do that if it isn't in their contract?

As for student work, they are not employees, so the district should have no ownership.

I'm also on the fence of the legality of some of it. Technically, we are salary. But, if the materials are created at home, outside of contract hours, could they legally 'own' them?

Obviously not a fan! Well, unless I get a pay raise for my efforts!

21. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2013

Would this mean that teachers can't use lesson plans they created if they were to change schools or districts?