Scholastic book club etiquette

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2017

I participate in Scholastic book clubs with my students every now and then and therefore have a tidy sum of bonus points. My daughter's preschool also participates. I actually pay with money to buy things from the preschool Scholastic program because a) My daughter probably finds it fun to pick up books when her little friends get them b) I feel like a jerk using bonus points for my own kid when the preschool could probably use the points from my order and my collected bonus points are probably intended for my own classroom.

Is there ever a case for selfishly using those bonus points?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 29, 2017

I have used bonus points to get books for my own children. They're teens and their teachers don't do Scholastic orders. I also spend my own money to build my classroom library when I see good books at garage sales or library sales, so I don't feel bad at all that I use some bonus points for items not for my classroom. The vast majority of the points go towards my classroom, but if my daughter is interested in a book and I can get it for her with points, I personally have no issues with that. I just got the newest John Green book using bonus points and since I teach 6th grade that book will not be making its way to my classroom library.

While Scholastic probably thinks the bonus points are for classroom use, I don't see the harm in occasionally using them for yourself. I currently have about 5,000 bonus points and will keep applying them throughout the year for my classroom library, but if I see a book I want for myself or one of my kids, that's fine too. If you feel you need to justify it, consider it a payment for the time you spend finalizing the classroom order and organizing the books you get for distribution once they arrive :).

MetalTeacher, Caesar753 and Backroads like this.
  4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2017

I spend around $3000 a year for things for my students and classroom. So I don't have a problem using the points for myself, although it's usually books I think my students will like.

MetalTeacher and Backroads like this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2017

Absolutely this. Unless your school mandates participation and it is seen as part of your regular responsibilities, generally your participation is voluntary. For that reason I think it's okay to use your bonus points as you see fit.

MetalTeacher likes this.
  6. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 30, 2017

As long as there's no school or district policy that says you CAN'T, then I don't see why not. As others have said, you've spent your own money on products for your classroom and have probably spent some of those points on your classroom already. If you're allowed to do so then I see no harm in using some of those points for yourself or your own kids.

czacza likes this.
  7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2017

Many teachers a teacher my old school, myself included, bought iPads for personal use with bonus points.
    I spent enough in my classroom that I don't feel guilty about it. Most of my bonus points went to classroom books. But I definitely bought things for personal use too

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2017

Personally, I don't feel comfortable doing that...but that's my own opinion and I can understand the opinions others have mentioned here! (That being said, my main obsession is building my own classroom library...even the Amazon and Target gift cards I get from kids/families I end up buying books with :p )