Scheduling advice from experienced teachers to a new one!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by tlf3184, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tlf3184

tlf3184 New Member

Jul 8, 2015

Hello! New to A to Z!
    I just got hired as a 5th grade LA and Social Studies teacher! I currently have about 320 minutes of teaching per day. I would love some advice on scheduling and keeping things orderly.
    I am just wondering if anyone does specific things/activities each day? For example I did a long term sub position for 4th grade and every Monday they would do something in their reading notebook, practice writing skills, and make vocabulary notecards. Tuesday would be small group day. Wednesday they would do a Time For Kids magazine and quiz and a spelling/grammar lesson. Thursday would be writing and a SS project... I hope you get my point.
    As a sub for her I loved this because everyday was consistent and I knew what to expect. As a new teacher I think this would be a great way to stay organized and not feel like I'm making new lesson plans every single day. I would like the consistency and I feel like the kids would too. ANYWAY if anyone does this, seen a teacher do it, has any pros/cons, or could help me picture what this would be like please leave any sort of comment! Thanks in advanced, Taylor.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 8, 2015

I teach Science, Social Studies, and Technology. It is nice having a schedule to go by -- it helps you plan, and helps the students to know what is coming next.

First, what are your instructional minutes per day? I know, for example, that my district "suggests" that we teach LA for 390 minutes per week (or 78 minutes per day for 5th grade). For Science it is 150 minutes per week (or 30 minutes per day) and for Social Studies it is also 150 minutes per week (30 minutes per day.)

So the first thing is to try to meet the instructional minutes that are suggested by your district. If there are no suggested levels, you can play with the numbers until it comes out to what you want.

320 minutes per day is a lot of minutes -- that's over 5 1/2 hours per day. When do they get math and science, specials, and lunch?

But back to your question. Once you determine or decide how long LA and Social Studies will be each day, then you can set up your days.

For example, when I taught LA (the year I didn't do Daily 5), Monday we went over new vocabulary, looked up definitions, and put them in our vocabulary dictionary. We went over the spelling rule or pattern for the week. We listened to the cd reading of our weekly story.

Tuesday, students wrote sentences with their vocabulary works, and buddy read the weekly story, share-paired their observations and asked questions by writing them on sticky notes and putting them on the "burning questions" poster. We went over all questions.... I pulled guided reading groups.

etc etc.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I hope it does.

:)

4. tlf3184

tlf3184 New Member

Jul 8, 2015

Thank you for you input RainStorm! I guess I'm just going to have to decide what sort of things I want to get accomplished each day and then play with the scheduling and flow.
    And I forgot in original email from my principal he said LA+SS = 320 min but to make it even were getting about 280 each. We are working with a funky schedule but I guess once we figure it out Ill be able to plan more. Thanks again!

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 8, 2015

What reading curriculum are you using? Many have a structured 5 day routine that can be adapted as needed.

6. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I believe that most students thrive in a fairly structured environment - at least to the point that they know "what's next". My students are allowed a LOT of freedom and choice within the majority of their day (a very flexible "Daily 5"), but they know exactly what is expected each day and each week.

Chele :)