Schedule

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Is there any way you can see to alter my schedule???? I know it's a big no-no to not have certain things every day... in fact, most things I don't have every day, including math and writing! I have tried to make up for this with the math tubs and daily writing practice.

Any pointers? Tips? This will be my first year with a mostly second grade class. I will have about 3/4 second grade, and 1/4 third grade in a multi-age. Thanks!

The "Fine Motor Centers" are basically fun friday. They have to have their WORK FINISHED to do it, but they will also have handwriting instruction then as well, since it's an hour of centers and it takes about 5 minutes to do a lesson in HWT. So, the fine motor centers aren't really negotiable. It's basically a reward system.

See my schedule by downloading it from my site. It's 11x17.. if it doesn't print out for people, later I will come back and sort of "write it out" in a post, but it's sort of confusing.

http://www.classjump.com/jessicatls/

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

Your first activities of the morning seem to take a lot of time- Is tubbing really worth all that time? I know it's math so that makes up for the loss of a math period during the week but it seems like a long time to me. Are you circulating at this time? It might be a good time to work with strugglers, pull small groups.... The sentence work also seems like a long time- What are the early finishers doing? (Something I'm always thinking about!!)

Otherwise it looks good to me-

Is movement the same as PE? Not sure I saw all your 'specials' on there...(My class has music, PE, art, Spanish, Technology...)

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

I only do 15 minutes for snack. Seems like things could get out of control with 30 minutes. I also like doing my read aloud during snack time. It keeps them more focused on the academics then giving them free time and then trying to gain back control. If you did that, you'd have an hour for Writer's Workshop or Word Work.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Snack is just part of recess.. we call it free time, so it's 30 minutes. Movement is the same as PE. We rotate through specials, so I will have PE and Spanish all year, and music in the winter. We do our own technology and art. I think I will do a read aloud for the first 10 minutes and that will be snack, so the recess will be 20 minutes afterwards.

The math tubs are part of this "arrival window" we have. The window is 8:45-9:00. When they finish they will play math games I think... or maybe silent reading? I will have to see how the class is. It will be hard because some kids may show up at 8:45, and others at 9:00. Some kids will have a lot less time, which is why I had them go until 9:10.

During the sentence writing, I think the early finishers will work in their journals for journal writing, or maybe do handwriting pages. How long do you think 2nd graders will need to write and edit a sentence?? Maybe 10 minutes is enough?

Thanks, I forgot about early finishers. This year they would read, write or play a phonics game during literacy times, and did flash cards or math games during math. I think it would be the same. I guess if things don't take as long as I planned, it will give me a longer time for ww and word work, which I want! I hope things take less time than I anticipated.

6. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

My students rewrite and edit two DOL sentences each morning for morning work. It really doesn't take them very long at all. Like you said, maybe 10 minutes.

We are required to have a 90-minute (uninterrupted) literacy block first thing in the morning. This includes small groups and centers. This pretty much dictates the rest of my schedule. It's interesting to see what you can do with a schedule when not working around that big block :D

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

10 minutes should be plenty- some strugglers might take longer if they have trouble reading, don't have a grasp on the concepts which need correcting...

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Thanks for your help. If kids don't finish the math tubs or the sentences they can do them during work finishing on Friday- it is an hour long block!

I altered everything and it gives me now time for another read aloud and a full hour each day for word work or writer's workshop! Yay! Thanks.

(You can see the revised schedule at my website.)
    http://www.classjump.com/jessicatls/