Scarlet fever...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by emmakate218, Apr 17, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2009

I started feeling ill Wednesday afternoon and after a rough night of no sleep Wednesday night, I fainted in the morning after taking two ibuprofen and went to see a doctor right away. Turns out that I have strep throat. The doctor thought I fainted because of how fatigued I was - I probably had a total of 90 minutes of sleep Wednesday evening...my throat was so sore! I personally think it was the ibuprofen that dropped my bp, causing me to faint. So...I'm taking antibiotics for 10 days. Today I noticed that I'm developing a scarlet fever rash on my torso. My throat isn't sore anymore and I feel like I'm getting better. From all my research about scarlet fever, the rash comes a day or two after the strep throat begins and is relatively harmless as long as the strep infection is being treated.

I was just wondering if anybody has personally experienced scarlet fever as an adult or a child? Or maybe has had a child that experienced it?

It's just simply weird.

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

I haven't but :hugs: and hope you feel better soon!

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

When my DD was 10 months old she had scarlet fever. I don't think I had ever seen her so sick. It was scary but she responded quickly to the meds. At the time I was working in a doctor's office so the MD's there filled me in on what it is, etc. It sounds so medievel and deadly somehow, but we are very lucky to have antibiotics! I had strep once and it was the worst, but, just like my DD, it responded really well to the meds.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 17, 2009

My mother had it when she was young. She's allergic to penicillin because of it, although I'm not sure why.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 17, 2009

When my middle daughter was a junior in high school, I was walking behind her on the way to a sports banquet. She was wearing a low-back dress and I noticed had a splotchy rash on her back.

We went to the doctor the following day. Our doctor diagnosed Scarlett Fever and prescribed antibiotics. My daugher had fatigue, a sore throat, and was contagious prior to the rash. The doctor kept her out of school for a few days as she started the antibiotics.

My brother also had Scarlett Fever when he was a child. Another symptom both my brother and daughter had were peeling fingers.

Call your MD and tell him/her about the rash.

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Apr 18, 2009

I had scarlet fever as a kid, while I had strept throat. I was miserable! I don't remember how it was treated back then, but I missed a week of school. Do not self-diagnose yourself, go to the doctor to make sure you are not having an allergic reaction, and receive the correct treatment if no matter what it is.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

I had a student this year come down with scarlet fever. Her mom was getting ready to bring her to school and noticed her rash. She took her to the doctor and he said it is rare, only 10% turn into scarlet fever. She was out a few days.

9. glen

glen Companion

Apr 18, 2009

My son had it when he was two. The first time, he had the sore throat and a rash that looked like sunburn. He relapsed after the antibiotics, but this time only the rash came back. He was feeling fine, but I took him back in to the doctor's anyway. They thought the rash must be something else because he didn't have any other symptoms. They did a strep test anyway, and sure enough he had it again/still had it. It cleared up with a new round of antibiotics.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

I hope you have called your doctor, it could possibly be that you are allergic to the medicine.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

If you have mono and take penicillin you can get a similar rash, and may have other similar symptoms, especially if you passed out. I would ask the doctor about this.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

Thanks for al the responses y'all.

The rash started showing up yesterday around 5-ish and spread a bit across my torso. I took my evening round of antibiotics at 10 and the rash cleared up within hours after. I started feeling soooo much better last night after taking my evening round of antibiotics.

Weird.

It was totally weird to have something that people use to be quarantined for!

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

You should contact your dr. If it is scarlet fever, it is not good that it is showing up while you are on antibiotics.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 18, 2009

I had it a year and a half ago. It sounds so scary, but all it really is, is the strep bacteria hitting your bloodstream. It CAN be serious, but if you're taking and responding to the antibiotics your doc prescribed, you should be fine. You probably should update your doc though. He might want to prescribe a stronger antibiotic or a larger dose of the one you're on.

15. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 18, 2009

It could also be a reaction to the antibiotics. I have a delayed reaction to penicillin based meds. I break out in small hives about day 7 or 8 of the meds. So I can't take them anymore.

You should contact your dr. just in case.

16. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

I got it as a toddler, and my parents freaked. Especially when the doctor asked if he could bring in all the orderlies so they could see an actual case of scarlet fever!

I got it again when I was about 7 or 8. After that, it never returned.

Anyway, the docs made a big deal about it when I was a kid, but maybe that was just because I was young. Still, if I were you I'd make an appointment just to be safe.

I hope you feel better soon. Oh, and if I remember correctly, gross as it sounds, that top layer of skin might peel, so be ready for that.