Saving links on computer for student use

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Proud2BATeacher, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2011

My students have a hard time copying written website links and I'm afraid to give some of my students the freedom to google their own links. I was wondering if there is a website out there that will allow me to save a list of links that my students can use? I'm hoping to just bookmark the website on each computer to make it easier for my students to safely use a computer.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

Can you add it to the computers favorites? Or use an online bookmarking site. I use google bookmarks. I can then get my book marks from any computer.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

I've found that one of the easiest ways to do this is to make a Word document with all of the links listed on it and just put the Word document on the desktop. The kids open the file and click what they want. :)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

See my list above, or you can use a service like TinyURL to shorten the length of the URL.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 8, 2011

Do you have a class website. That could be the best place to put them b-c students could also access them at home. I have 1 page of my website for Links (in addition to specific links on each page). I have several categories and several links under each. (Make sure though that you set it up to always open a new window when they click on the link. Otherwise they will exit out of the main page). If you do it this way you could have your site always up on all the computers. :D If you don't have a site you can easily set up a free one through Webnode or Google. :D

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 8, 2011

Tizmos
    It saves a picture of the home page and the kids just click the pic. Free and very easy to set up. I love mine!!!! Here is a link to mine if you'd like to see it: http://www.tizmos.com/Slusher

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

I made a really easy site on Weebly for all of our links. I made it the homepage to all of the student laptops (I am the tech coordinator at my school.)

It worked really well. Teachers emailed me what they wanted, and I added the links to the site. Each level has a page on Weebly.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2011

Thanks for your help! I would like to organize my links by subject. I like the sites that provide a picture -- great for my non-readers. I guess I should check to see which site could get through the filters at my school.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 8, 2011

I agree about the problem of copying sites. We would waste 15 minutes just getting everyone to a site. I just upload every link I need to my website, then make sure every kid bookmarks the sure when they get there. I'm always afraid social bookmarking sites will be blocked.

12. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 8, 2011

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 8, 2011

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2011

I use delicious too... but I am thinking about trying this site- anyone else used it?

http://sqworl.com/

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

I've used sqworl ... worked just fine.

17. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

http://portaportal.com/

Portaportal is the best ever! :) It allows you to arrange your links in subject folders and subfolders. You can hide folders until you want to have the kids use them or hide links that you don't want the kids to use. It is so easy to set up, add to, and it even will quickly check all your links to make sure they are working.

The free version has some kid-friendly ads, but as you build your folders, the ads are pushed to the bottom of the page and aren't even noticed. For a very small yearly fee, you can get rid of the ads.

I put a shortcut icon on each computer's desktop for the kids to use, but the URL is easy for the kids to type in on their own, as well. :) To access, the students just type in your username in the Guest Access box, and the kids can use it at school or as a homework help at home. It is a fantastic site!!

If anyone would like to take a look at my Portaportal page, please PM me, and I will give you my username. :)

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2011

I do this - I call it our hotlist, and post on the board each day what site(s) they are to go to (and which lesson, etc.).