Saving Ideas for the Future

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by collegeteach12, Sep 9, 2009.

1. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I'm a future elementary school teacher, still in college, but I LOVE this website
    I'm constantly running into really great ideas that I know I would love to use in my classroom, so I've tried to figure out a way to save them, I save some websites in a folder under my favorites, and some other things I save in a folder on word.
    But my problem is, it is starting to become a whole lot of stuff!! I'm afraid I won't ever be able to read through it all when I need to.
    Does anybody else do this/did this before they started teaching? Or do you have a better organization method?
    Thanks for your help!

3. bg1166

bg1166 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I printed off the ideas, or made like a sample lesson plan and then put it in a file marked accordingly. First I just had basic subjects like math, science, social studies, language arts, ect... but now that I have more ideas I have them in sub folders for example in social studies I have good citizenship, and map keys...

If that makes any sense. I would just buy I filing cabinet and start putting things in file folders bc that will make it the easiest to sort through. Also with books that I don't want to buy but maybe use for certain lessons I make a copy of the cover and put it in a file folder so I can get it from the library.

4. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

I'd physically print and file them by content area or "ideas."

Totally addicted here too and just going through school myself, part-time this year and then 2 more years (double major so I wind up employed easily). But subbing this year, still waiting on my "official cbest results" by mail (monday), and then waiting on the background clearance, but raring to go in a few weeks and frantically printing things out, ordering some books, getting my sub bag together. Forget babysitting. These kids WILL get taught. Hopefully the lesson plan the teacher leaves, at that. Because I have dozens ready otherwise!

Get yourself a big backpack or a drawer if you don't have a filing cabinet, and put the printed files and folders in there. Way neater.

5. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

I got a huge binder with lesson plans for future use divided by subject and another binder with seasonal activities divided by the month. I have a tab for October through May.

6. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

wow printing it out and organizing by subject is a really great idea!!
    Thanks so much everybody for your help!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2009

Dunno how your browser works, but Safari for sure and, I believe, Firefox allow for multiple folders for one's bookmarks/favorites... For instance, I have a folder for English/language arts, and under that I have folders for rhetoric and reading and writing and test-taking English and language links and a couple of other categories, and there are sub-categories under those categories. I haven't saved A to Z stuff that way, but at some point I may start.

8. ~Evolution~

~Evolution~ Rookie

Sep 10, 2009

I find it easy to keep all my resources on my computer (with a backup on an external hard drive of course). I have collected so much stuff and i haven't even started teaching yet that it would be way to hard to physically store and sort through all of it even using a organised system. I have a main teaching resources file with folders starting with broad topics like literacy, math, themes, assessment, procedures etc. that all filter down into specific areas. I can find everything by simply typing in a key word and i don't have to worry about physically storing all it. Of course i store things i haven't found online in appropriate binders and boxes.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

You might consider a bookmarking service like Diigo (free). Lets you multiple tag stuff ... makes it super easy to reference later.

10. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

I print and organize everything in a binder as well.

I have also created a Wiki Page with Wet Paint so I can log all the great websites and type in my thoughts too ;]