San Francisco or New York/Boston

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Mar 25, 2015.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 25, 2015

Trying to decide on a summer vacation with my parents. We're considering either San Francisco or New York and Boston. I've never been to any of them. I love history and architecture. NYC and Boston are currently leading for me. There's so many things there I just know I want to see. But I also think I'd love San Francisco and there are things there I'd love to see.

So tell me about your travel experiences with each :) WWII is my favorite era of history (besides the Tudors in England) by the way!

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2015

I have the same problem every year trying to decide where to go. I already live in NY so I would love to visit Boston. Have you researched different activities in each city you're considering? (also the cost of activities if that is something you have a budget for, how would you get from place to place, etc.).

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2015

Throwing down a bid for SF! Just be prepared for chilly, foggy summer weather...There are amazing WWII-era bunkers along the coast in the City and on the Marin Headlands just across the bridge that you can hike to (and on, and around...) that are really fun for history buffs...these were the bunkers that were used as coastal protection during WWII. Also you can take a ferry to Angel Island for more hiking and exploration of abandoned military structures. Also on Angel Island is a West-coast version of Ellis Island where Chinese immigrants were "processed" that I believe is currently under restoration.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 25, 2015

That's part of my problem, TeacherNY! There are things I want to do in each place! I would love to see all of them someday.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 25, 2015

If you like WWII history, I would actually recommend New Orleans. The National WWII Museum there is absolutely stunning, and there is so much other history there, as well! There are walking tours of all of the unique architecture. There's a really nice zoo and aquarium, and through July 18th there is an amazing exhibit about the slave trade. Of course, there's obviously the normal fun things to do in New Orleans, like the French Quarter, drinking, cemetery tours, etc.

I go to New York each year, and lived in Boston for several years, but for WWII history, and history in general, I would choose New Orleans. I would not recommend splitting time between Boston and New York because each have enough to do for a while trip. If I were choosing between the two, it would be Boston.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 25, 2015

Been to all, except Boston, which I'd like to visit as well. Tough choice, San Fran & NY are great places!

Are you leaning towards any one in particular? If there's one you may have less of a chance of visiting later on, I'd visit that one now for summer. I'm planning on going to SF this summer myself for a few days.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2015

Define "summer", please. (And add me to the roster of people who prefer not to be east of the Mississippi in summer: heat-and-humidity and I don't get along.)

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2015

Not done NY or Boston and they are on my bucket list. I have done SF and would go back in a trice. Left the car in the hotel garage and went everywhere on public transport including the cable cars. good food, good bars, a fine park with an excellent science museum in the middle of it.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 25, 2015

TG, I hate summer :lol: I wouldn't think Boston or NY would be too much worse than Columbus though. We're looking at July probably (so hot) but we've done Savannah and Hilton Head before so we're used to it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2015

Oh, I've been trying to get my husband to tske me to New Orleans! It's too far though since he won't fly.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the destinations you are thinking about. I agree that its a great idea to pick the place you'd have less Of a chance going to at another time.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2015

I LOVE SF and Boston, NYC slightly less so but it is an interesting place. I love the unpredictable, cool weather of SF .... and the HISTORY of Boston........ Been to all three on "vacation trips" and visited many times to all three on "business." Enjoy............ :)

PS: For what it's worth I would not consider living in any of them.... :)

13. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

NYC itself is incredibly humid during the summer.

It's why a lot of people like to go to the ocean during the summer - either long island, or the jersey shore (I prefer the jersey shore, but that's because I live here).

So keep that in mind.

Also, if you're beach people, the Jersey Shore is rather nice - and there's some great places to eat around here for a variety of budgets.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 26, 2015

I've done all three multiple times, and each has selling points. That said, San Francisco is one of the most unique locations, with activities, and great food at every turn. I think it would be a perfect summer trip, because there is nothing wrong with escaping the heat when possible. I live close to NY, of course, and Boston isn't that far. They are big, busy cities that kind of look a lot like other big, busy cities that I have visited. If architecture and history are your thing, then any of them will do. If unique cultures and experiences matter, then SF wins hands down. I think that SF is like no place else, with a special blending of cultures, unique land features, and proximity to the ocean and its wild life almost right out of your door. Boston is nice, but nicer when you get somewhat out of the city, which may defeat the entire point.

Let's face it - there are songs written about all three of these cities, but only one that claims "I left my heart in San Francisco . . ." Kind of sums it up for me.

15. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Mar 26, 2015

Being from SF and still here, I say SF. Now, NYC and Boston are great too, but SF has many different neighborhoods that are so close that you can walk to the next one and see something totally different.

Oh, make sure you try out all the amazing foods that propped up the past few years thanks to the Techie boom.

Fred

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2015

Ive lived in or incredibly near all 3:
    San Francisco is so beautiful...the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown. sausalito, Fishermens Wharf, a quick wine tasting trip to Napa! And the food! Oh. Sourdough bread, cioppino, Ghirardelli chocolate...now I want to go!

Boston...so much histroy! Freedom trail, Faneuil Hall, Boston Harbor...you could catch a Red Sox game and watch them lose (sorry, Yankees fan here!) and the food: lobster rolls, chowder...yum!

NYC...it's THE CITY, the Big Apple...it just makes your heart beat a bit faster...incredible museums, Broadway, Little Italy and Chinatown, Freedom Tower and 9-11 Memorial:cool:...world class restaurants, little holes in the wall with incredible pizza, the BEST bagels ...people watching...take a Harbor tour and go visit Ellis Island and circle the Statue of Liberty...

Tough choice...but any of these are going to be a fabulous trip! Have fun! :)

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 26, 2015

I'm not sure my choices are any easier now :lol: maybe I'll flip a coin! Boston does pull me a little bit more because it does a lot of historical things I'm interested in.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 26, 2015

I'm going to Boston with some friends from college this summer. Usually they come out to visit me because I'm the only one that lives in a "vacation" spot, but I offered to go out there this summer since they're always the ones spending money on flights. They decided that was just too boring and we're now going to Boston instead :). We have a pretty cool trip planned. Being in OH you should be used to the humidity, so I don't think that's really a factor. If you're really into the history stuff I think Boston would be a better pick.

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 27, 2015

I grew up in Boston. It is positively lovely in the summertime. Can you also go to Cape Cod? It's beautiful there as well.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 29, 2015

I have been to all three. Knowing Ohio weather, like you do, I would pick SF for a July trip just to avoid the humidity! You will have a great time which ever you pick!

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 29, 2015

I live near SF and I've seen all there is to see there so I may be biased against it, but I went to New York and Boston last year, and it was beautiful! Especially Boston. I've never been to a city so rich in history. We spent two days there and I could have spent a week or two.

New York was interesting, but what I most fell in love with there was our hotel room. It looked like it was taken straight out of the 20's/30's. We visited Chelsea market and got some food, and it was right around Thanksgiving, so they were blowing up the floats for the parade and we visited the Natural History Museum which was fairly cool.

However our trip was in the winter. SF stays cool pretty much year round.

If you're interested in SF, I personally love the science and art museums they have there. Golden Gate Park is really nice. And I would take a trip down Highway 1 if you get the chance and visit Pacifica or anywhere on the coast. One of my favorite ways to get away is to just hit Highway 1 and stop at any cafe I see on the coast, enjoy coffee while watching a pod of whales breaching in the distance.