Sample lesson plans

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Terri in CA, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I am need to show my teachers how to fill out a lesson plan book (yea silly I know). Unfortunately They have gotten in the habit of making it basically a list of the daily schedule, and not listing activities, or making it readable to anyone else and a lot of arrows.

I am looking for some different examples to share with them of "good" weekly lesson plans. Does anyone have any suggestions of websites to go to to see some examples?

TIA

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

I personally think lesson plans should be written for the person who is using them...All of the administrators for whom I've worked have been flexible in regards to format...Plans are pretty much good for MONDAY, after that teachers reflect on what needs to be reinforced, or re-taught depending on the students...hence the arrows!! I list subject area, lesson focus and activity in my plans- I don't list curriculum standard #'s although I do know there are administrators out there who are looking for that... If you want a specific format, why not create your own, or you may want to Google Madeline Hunter lesson plan formats if you want uber-specifics...
    http://coe.nevada.edu/ckeeler/LessonPlanTemplates/hunter.html

4. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

In an ideal world that is true.........BUT.........other people need to be able to read them. Myself, the team teachers, the assistants, and substitutes.

All I am looking for is some samples to share.....not criticism. :D

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

6. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Thank you for the links, but those are not what I meant. I need samples filled out. We have templates, and lesson plan books, and I dont care about format. I need them readable. My teachers choose not to do them on the computer. They are hand written. So I would like some filled out examples to show what they "should" look like.

7. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

czacza, I love that you said that about Mondays....It's true. The rest of the week just falls into place on its own. The kids take you in a different direction or need more/less time on certain things. If I'm going to be absent, my Substitute Folder is more valuable than my plan book.

When I taught 2nd grade, years ago, our plans had to follow MH and the principal wanted every little minute detail. Which was ok for a while, but experienced teachers don't need to keep such intensive plan books. Once I got into the habit of good lessons and planning, I didn't need to write it all down every week. A general guide was enough. It got to be a waste of my time.
    For pre-K, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a plan book. More helpful would be a faculty meeting to remind teachers how to complete a good lesson. Just writing in the book doesn't mean they are doing it. Objective, Model, Check for Understanding, Closure....I am partial to Madeline Hunter after all these years. :)
    Those websites are good. I forgot how I had to fit in all that info into a little square, writing little teeny words.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I also admit that as an experienced teacher I have a pacing guide for myself and general plans, but I dont go into huge detail for a number of reasons. 1. I don't need it. 2. Nobody read them. 3. They change as soon as you write them down.

Since there is such variety, I suggest a couple of things - print out a lesson plan and fill it out yourself to your specifications. That way you will model exactly what you want. Think carefully about exactly what you need and don't ask for too much. It can be a waste of time for your teachers when they could be doing prep., etc. If your classrooms are really child-centered, things change minute to minute.

We have standard lesson plans in our sub folders in case of emergencies, but in most cases they aren't used because we can email or fax in plans.

We're not trying to be negative - just realistic. Many preschool teachers don't have enough schooling or are paid enough to do intensive lesson plans.

Why do aides etc. need the lesson plans if the teacher is there?

9. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Teachers go on breaks, have to leave for emergencies, call in sick exc. And we are applying for acreditation in 2 years and part of that process is proper planning and a paper trail.

We have pacing guides and yes I know things change from day to day. BUT there needs to be something other than when the kids have snack & lunch, and circle time. I plan on doing an example for them, since I cant seem to find what I need them to do.

All they need to do is list the song for circle time, or the group activity. A list of possible supplies they may need so they arent looking for it at 8:15 in the morning of the activity and finding out we dont have it.

This is part of a training I am doing with the teachers. They need to learn how to have effective lesson plans and not just a sched. How they can plan the week and make sure they are prepared. And that isnt happening right now.

I just wanted to show some different ways of doing it instead of saying this is my way do it my way.

Oh well. thanks anyway.

10. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Terri,
    The last district I was in (S.C.) required very detailed lesson plans. I understand the need for the plans, but I also know that some teachers would copy/paste others' plans and then do their own thing. (We used the OnCourse lessonplan website that stored our standards. We could just click on a standard and it appeared in our plans. We could also share plans with each other.)
    This district also required us to have a binder with 2 weeks worth of "sub plans". They had to be very detailed and any worksheets needed had to be run off and in the binder ready to go. Maybe you would consider an "emergency plan book" for subs that would need to be detailed. Then their daily plans could be for themselves???

P.S. I hated the thought of the lengthy plans, but now that I don't have to do it, I do it anyway. I guess I feel the need to be thorough whether I am forced to or not-lol.

11. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 21, 2009

What if you took a couple of the examples of formats and then filled them out as samples of how they could be doing lesson plans. That way your teachers have several formats they can pick from to bet fit what they are comfortable with. Hopefully it will help encourage them if they have a good example of what they should be doing and can then see how it can benefit them as teachers to better manage their classrooms!

12. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Terri, I do two lesson plans for each theme. One is for Circle Time and the other is Centers/Free Play. The Circle Time one shows for each day the book, song, finger play, game, LOTW, and any other learning (colors, numbers, sizes...). The Centers/Free Play lesson plan maps out each center and what will be in it each day. Some centers, such as blocks, will show anything new that I put out. Art shows specific art activities we will do each day, along with what materials I will need. Everything I do is flexible and subject to change, but I like having it written down so I know what to have on hand. I hope this helps.

13. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Fill one out the way you want them filled out and show them.

14. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I would show you my version of a lesson plan that I filled out at my former school. It was very detailed and organized but it's in a Word document and would have to email it.

15. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 21, 2009

Why not print out of a few templates that you would find effective and be comfortable using, then have a faculty meeting with your teachers and go over what you consider to be "good' lesson planning. Explain to the teachers the importance of good planning in terms of being prepared, having plans be legible, etc. Then have everyone fill out a template and review them together going over what could be strengthened or revised to improve their planning in terms of what you are looking for.

I am a brand new teacher, but I think this idea will make it so that you are able to get what YOU want, while your teachers feel they too are a part of the process. When everyone works together, the job is more likely to get done RIGHT:)

16. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

At my preschool, we turn in monthly lesson plans 1 month before the actual month. For example, October plans are due September 1 or the next school day. Our plans are weekly and broken down by Morning Activities, Lang. Arts, Math, Social Studies/Science, and Physical Activity. Each month, we have curriculum associated with each of these. I'll try and explain how I might fill out a weekly form.

In Sept. we cover letters A-E, Motor Skill Review(LtoR, cutting), Identifying/Writing Names for LA; shapes, patterns, numeral/number word 1/one for Math; Apples, All about Me/Family, Community Workers, Dinosaurs, and Autumn/Leaves for SS/Science. The SS/Science units are weekly, the others are montly.

For the first week, I would list activities that I plan to introduce for the letter Aa (correct writing formation, letter sound (2 for short and long) and maybe an activity that involves the motor skill review and name identification as this will also cover the S.S. unit on Apples/All About Me for Lang. Art section.

Under Math, I would introduce AB pattern and have the students glue miniature green/red apple die-cuts to a pattern grid; introduce number 1/one; maybe a shape identification activity.

For SS/Science theme for the week, Apples/All About Me I would include activities with apples (sponge paint or finger paint an apple tree, graph which apples we like best after taste testing, tell them the story of the heart in the center of an apple); All About Me activities would include measuring, weighing, graphing eye color/hair color of students, self-portraits, finger prints.

Under morning activities, I list puzzles, journals, blocks, etc.
    Under Physical Movement, I usually list playground time.

I hope that this helps you to have an idea of what is expected of me at my preschool. Once the lesson plans are turned in for the month, my assistant begins to make copies and/or gather materials for projects. The idea is for us to stay one month ahead in "case" we are both out at the same time.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

17. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I'll post a couple examples of lesson plans later on tonight.

18. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

There is a Preschool plan book that works well. On the left you fill in the schedule for the day and lessons. On the right is space for each center and a description of that activity. It really lets you see what will be happening all around the room.

19. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Lesson Plan Page 1

Lesson Plan Page 2

Page 1 & 2 show the planned activities that the teachers will carry out during the theme.

Lesson Plan Page 3
    Page 3 lists all the materials that are placed in the learning centers for the duration of the theme.

Here are some examples of the activity cards that are used with the activities on page 1 & 2. Each activity card includes the materials needed for the activity, the skills that are worked on during the activity, the procedure as to how the activity is to be done, questions that the teacher might ask during the activity, and expansion ideas that the teacher might do as follow ups to the activity.

Activity Card 1

Activity Card 2

Activity Card 3

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Mrgrinch, great lesson plans. They look easy and easy to follow. I love the activity cards. Although I use Creative Curriculum, I can see adapting the activity cards to CC.

21. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Thank you so much for sharing those!

22. QueenIzzie

QueenIzzie Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Wow MrGrinch, I really like how that is laid out. During the year I usually post my daily lesson play, which lays out the schedule of the day and I explain in detail the enrichment activity.

I might see about switching to yours. Thanks for those templates!

23. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 23, 2009

lesson plans

We use the Abeka curriculum and also Saxon for Math. Here is a sample of my lesson plans, I use Word and do them on the computer. I included a 2nd copy of page 2, that is after we start guided reading.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39534883@N08/