S.P.I.R.E.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Momzoid, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 22, 2012

Does anybody here use this program? I got some of the materials on Friday afternoon and have to teach this tomorrow. I guess what I would really like to know is does it work for your school? Are there any free resources to go with this? From what I have read this is similar to DI, which I am familiar with. :thanks:

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 23, 2012

Yes, I've used it extensively. It does work, but there are a few other components I've added to it based on individual child's needs. Do you have all of the materials - magnetic letter board, word cards, etc? Also, do you have Sounds Sensible, which is the downward extension of the program for teaching more basic phonics?

Also, SPIRE is very much a Direct Instruction (DI) program, which is more of a set of a methodology than a particular branded program. There are many DI-based programs - I'd consider SPIRE to be one of those.

We chose SPIRE after extensively looking at research and user reviews of SPIRE, Wilson, and a lot of others. For the price, usability, and efficacy, it's a good selection!

4. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 23, 2012

I have some of the materials: sight words and the phonogram cards. No workbooks or student books yet. I don't know about Sounds Sensible, I am teaching Level 1 to second graders. Later I will get some training. It use takes getting use to the components. Thanks for the info!:)

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2012

I use the readers with my children at school and they love them.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 24, 2012

If you don't have the student books, it's probably not going to be helpful, as that's the bulk of the program. At the very least, I'd have student readers and the teacher's manual. The magnetic letters boards are a few dollars, but incredibly worth it.

Sounds Sensible would be relevant if you had kids in need of intervention with phonemic awareness, or with decoding single consonant sounds. Level 1 starts with short vowels, so if they're at that level and above, you'd be good. Here's a link to the scope & sequence:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/downloads/other/spire/spire_scope_and_sequence.pdf

7. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 24, 2012

I do have one student book, so I have been making copies until the books come in. I have letter tiles that I am using for right now. Money is tight right now for me personally and for the system. I'll find out tomorrow where the supplies for this program are coming from. Its a work in progress.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 24, 2012

Sounds like it's at least a good start and like you're making do for now :)