RWorld1's Journal To Finding 10 Tutoring Students ($200 per week). Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RWorld1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. RWorld1

RWorld1 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

Ok everyone I've decided to buckle down and get myself some students to tutor.

One of my dearest friends got laid off not too long ago and it's made me realise I need something to fall back on. I know I may sound a bit drastic but this is the third person I know off for this to happen to in the last 2 years. It made me realise that if I was to be laid off I'd be (mind my french) fyooked!

That aside it would be great to have some extra money, and be able to help out some students who need the help. Call me arrogant but I think I'd be an even better teacher one-on-one.

My Goal

I want to get 10 students, and I'd like to charge £20 per hour. That would be £200 a week (boy I maybe I should broaden out to Maths!), and that'd make a HUGE difference in my life.

(I'm from the UK where the average tutoring rate is £20 to £25 per hour)

I teach Geography - and am happy to get students at any age for that. I was thinking of maybe brushing up on another subject to broaden my chances of getting more students - but I think that'd take too much work for me to get to a level where I'd feel confident to teach someone else. I'm not ruling it out, but it would be much nicer if I didn't have to.

Opportunity

I know it's obvious Maths - but I was thinking about what £200 a week would mean. Firstly I reckon there's probably around 35 weeks of term time before the exams. If I got the 10 students I wanted that would mean an extra £7000 a year. That would be amazing.

Now the only work that's required is to get 10 students to agree to being tutored. That's no small task, but if I achieve it it'll mean that'll guarantee the £7000 income for the entire year.

Expected difficulties

This is where it gets ugly. There's a few things I think will work against me.

1) Geography isn't exactly a popular subject. I reckon my task would be a million times easier if I taught Maths, Science or English.

2) I didn't go to a particularly good university, and I've only been teaching 2 years. I know it's a big plus to have gone to a great university/college, and have 20 years of experience under the belt. Hey-ho, I don't. Fingers crossed that doesn't bite me in the you-know-where.

3) I live in a pretty small city. The population of the city I teach is around 63,000. Again life would be much easier if I lived in a city like London or New York. But then again at least I'm not living in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere with a population of 26! But yeah, naturally it's going to be harder to get the students I want, when there's less people where I live.

4) I'm in a pretty 'urban' area - which means people aren't wealthy. People around here aren't rich, so I'm worried £20 may be too much. I guess I'll try my best and worse come worse I'll go lower.

5) I don't really know many people here - so word of mouth is out of the question! I moved to this city purely for work as a teacher. The only people I know are those who I work with. They're a nice bunch, and I get on with a few of them, but I'd rather keep my any tuition I do a secret. I've heard a few people say word of mouth can be helpful getting students, but that's not an option for me.

6) I have no idea how to start! I'm literally sitting here thinking what I could do to get students. I did a quick search into google and seen there are a few articles out there. I'm going to read them and brainstorm some ideas. (If anyone has any tips for me to get started I'd love to hear them).

Conclusion

Ok. I've got a tough journey ahead of me but you know what I'm going to give it the best shot. Even if I fail who cares, at least I know I tried. I know it's going to be hard, but I hope by keeping a journal here I'll hold myself accountable.

Current aim: Read at least 5 articles, make some notes, and come up with one idea on how to start.

Wish me luck!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2017

My current tutoring schedule is 5 hours per week @$70 per hour. I have another family who potentially want another 3-4 hours.

Tutoring is typically a word of mouth business. Once you get one or two students, your name will get around. That said, people generally aren't going to hire a tutor for geography. I'm a third grade teacher certified k-8 and I typically tutor all subjects 3-8. Mostly reinforcement, homework, test prep. English (reading/writing) and math are high demand- a few of my kiddos I only do math.

My school maintains a tutoring list for parents who call wanting extra help. You could also make up cards or flyers and leave at the library, etc. good luck to you.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 13, 2017

GOOD LUCK!

I teach HS math in NJ so I make $90/hr, and the parents don't bat an eyelash paying that much in my area. It varies how many I tutor each week. The weeks of big tests I tend to tutor more than the weeks when there are no major assessments scheduled. I would say I do from 4-8 hours on a typical week. Beginning of the year is a bit slower though. This week I only did 2 hours for example. After the first test of the year is when some of them get the wake-up call that they may need a tutor.

I agree with cza about tutoring being word of mouth. I get many emails from parents who spoke to other parents. Our district also maintains a "Tutor List" on the district website, which guidance counselors use if students request a tutor. Sometimes towards the middle of the year we get so many requests so we can be picky about which ones we want to do (I hate tutoring SAT/ACT prep, and would much rather just tutor regular math classes for example). The "Tutor List" is not limited to teachers as they let "outsiders" list as well. Maybe you could see if schools near you have a similar such list you could put your name on? You will have a hard time finding geography clients for sure. Most subjects other than math and science don't have high tutoring demand around here.

I also get some tutoring jobs from my former students or students whom I've taught the siblings.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2017

I don't have any interest in tutoring after hours so all power to you.

With that said, if I had a child, and said child needed help with geography, I'd tell him to take a walk and record what he sees on a map. Then figure out how to scale it, then create his own version of a longitude/latitude system, etc.

Beyond that, you'd be tutoring kids to memorize stuff I assume? Wouldn't it be better to take what your doing and applying it to tutoring. Tutor in research and study skills. That would probably get more interest.

6. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 14, 2017

I only do one hour per week for high school maths. I used to do more but I'm just exhausted after school and I really don't care to do more teaching. Tutoring is definitely a word of mouth business and every single student I've tutored has been referred from a student I've taught. How I started out though, is offering the first session as a trial session, to see if my teaching style and the kid's learning style meshes. And that's how I got the ball rolling. I charge $10 more per hour for every year level up.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 14, 2017

What?! You are so lucky! The most I've heard of anyone getting paid for private tutoring around here is $40. Most charge $20-$30.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 14, 2017

Good luck!

I'd recommend expanding your areas of expertise. History? Reading? You probably tap into both of these subjects as you teach geography. You'll have an easier time finding students if you can tutor in other subjects.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2017

In NJ, I got paid like $38 an hour when I did the after school program which amounts to babysitting. Wherever you live should probably be abandoned until you're ready to retire. Lol

otterpop likes this.
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 14, 2017

Yes, but the COL is ridiculous around here to make up for it. I don't know where you live, but I'm willing to bet if the going rate is that low for certified teachers, perhaps your COL is also lower. I made more than $40 even as a college student tutoring.

Another thing I wanted to note: I once tried to tutor through companies like Wyzant, but I would not recommend that unless you are desperate. They take a HUGE sum of your money (40% to start).

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2017

I have 8 students a week at $50 apiece (with one student at $55 and another at $60). Nice work if you can get it, but I found that getting the ball rolling with tutoring was hard. I used Wyzant to get started, and fortunately, a lot of my students knew how much they raked me over the coals and offered to switch to just paying me on the side. From there, it was just a matter of word of mouth. I have four different little girls from a private school second grade class, which is just fantastic because I can basically plan one lesson, teach it four times, and pull in $200.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 14, 2017

I guess that's the nicer thing about HS math too. I never actually have to "plan lessons" for tutoring. I just work with them on homework problems or understanding what is written in their notes so I don't usually bring much with me, except maybe a textbook for extra problems if needed.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 14, 2017

I do love tutoring high school math... I charge $100 an hour for those students... but I rarely get any high schoolers since I don't have a math credential.

otterpop likes this.
  14. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2017

I always sit back in awe at these threads: surely you'd go with the "going rates", but I felt awkward enough asking $20/hr when tutoring elem math and HS math a few years back.

Guess that's just my weird, weird personality. :p

bella84 likes this.
  15. RWorld1

RWorld1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM

Wow thanks for the replies guys.

I'm amazed by the fees some of you guys are getting out there. Maybe I should come across the atlantic and setup over there.

Been a while since I wrote anything - here's an update of what I've been doing:

Ok so I went through 6 articles. Boy there's a lot of information out there. It's quite overwhelming in a way.

I've come up with a quick plan.

I'm going to keep it simple, as I just want to get in the roll of things. I'm going to whip up a quick advert (just type something onto microsoft word), print it out with my mobile number clearly visible.

Ideally I'd like to have a different phone number for tutoring, but that'll involve me buying a new sim and phone, and that'll cost extra money, I may put it off (I hate dealing with phone companies), and realistically I'm overcomplicating this. Even as I write I'm thinking 'what they hell are you yapping on about'!

Basically I'm just going to use my current mobile number.

That said I do need to buy a printer. Does anyone know a cheap, reliable printer by any chance? Otherwise I'm just going to head to a local shop and pick up whatevers cheapest.

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Do they not have Google Voice there?

RWorld1 and bella84 like this.
  17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Babysitters get $10-15 per hour. HS kids who 'tutor' get $15. I've got 20 years experience, a masters degree and coach/teach other teachers in improving their practice. At $70 per hour, I'd say that's fair.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  18. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM

I was going to suggest the same thing. I use Google Voice so that I can give my students' parents my phone number... but it's not my actual phone number.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  19. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Never said it wasn't fair. Just a personality quirk of mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:43 AM

By fair, I meant a fair wage for the service provided.

21. RWorld1

RWorld1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Wow I had no idea about this. Thank you.

And same to you Bella. Didn't know it even existed.

AlwaysAttend likes this.