Rural/Suburban Job App Process, Selective Districts, and Non-Renewal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fazed, Apr 17, 2017.

1. fazed

fazed New Member

Apr 17, 2017

Hello,

Looking for some advice. I'm a first-year teacher who was non-renewed but have a good relationship with my principal and the administration. They ultimately decided I was a poor fit for urban kids (which I was). During my student teaching, I taught in a rural/suburban area where I thrived. I had a candid conversation with the administrators who made the non-renewal decision, and both admired my honesty and willingness to take feedback (both offered letters of recommendation -- the VP always tries to check in with me as often as possible about my job search). They specifically told me to NOT answer "Yes" on the question on if I was ever "failed to be rehired" question because I was advised, and then chose, to resign.

I have applied to at least fifteen positions but have only had one interview. I am an excellent interviewer according to my CT and previous employers, but I was told they were "going in a different direction" and I did not move on to the next step my the interview process.

My problem is, it's already mid-April. I have about six pending jobs out there that I'm waiting to get an interview from, and will continue to apply for more. Most are rural/suburban, but a few are urban because I need to find a job for next year.

~I have bee told that most of the suburban school districts in my area are very "picky" when it comes to hiring. I have a relative who works at one in food service and has heard that subs or part-time teachers are kept as such with little to no opportunity to advance.

~In the event that I am unable to find a teaching job, should I look in a different field for work (although there is a small chance I could work for a creator of educational materials), or "suck it up" and become a substitute in a suburban/rural district for significantly less pay?

I think I have a strong future in this career based off of my student teaching and previous experiences, but was in a bad spot (and there were multiple other factors involved but because the hiring situation was so unique I prefer to keep those confidential) and in a school that wasn't suited to my strengths. Any suggestions how to proceed to get into a "tough to get into" school, or even just a suburban school, would be appreciated. A teacher I had in high school (I'm certified in 4-9) said he'd offer to "help me out" to get into a particularly selective district about a year ago... should I get back in contact with him?

I have had one interview so far after applying to fifteen or so jobs, with six more that I applied to this past week. Should I be worried? When should I really start freaking out about there being little chance of me being hired by a school before the start of the year?

Many thanks in advance!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 17, 2017

Have you ran across the question that follows the non-renewal question on virtually all of the applications in the NJ area: "Did you ever resign in lieu of being non-renewed?" When you resigned, you threw away months of unemployment benefits that exceed the income earned subbing and take the pressure off the immediate need to find a job NOW.

You might want to visit some discussion on a similar thread http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/...like-my-final-2-months-at-this-school.199980/

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 17, 2017

Honestly, I've never gotten hired this early for a job for the next school year. Most schools I applied to did call me back but they didn't end up doing so until like July or August, about a month after I had already taken a job I was offered in June. I don't think they always know who is staying or leaving until much later and a lot of people say they're staying and end up backing out last minute or mid-summer.

I would also look into what subject you're planning to teach. The market is always filled to the brim with history and English teachers, but there are almost always science and math positions hiring.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 17, 2017

I worked in less resourced schools for 6 years before I got a job in a competitive school. If you can cut your teeth in those schools, you can teach anywhere. I'd cast a wide net and get a job somewhere to get more experience. Maybe try to switch subjects/grades. Get a desirable/high needs endorsement. I teach SPED, and I had 4 job offers in 3 weeks.