Running into students outside of school - how to introduce significant other?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by curiouslystrong, Nov 17, 2013.

1. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Nov 17, 2013

I told some of my students that I'd go to their basketball game this afternoon (they asked me to go and where they're playing is literally a 5-minute walk from where I live); I'd feel weird (and would likely be bored) if I went by myself, so I asked my boyfriend to go with me. I have no idea how to introduce him to students, though. Do I say he's my boyfriend? Do I introduce him using his first name or do I call him "Mr. Lastname?" For context, my students are middle schoolers, and it's a girl's basketball game.

I've run into students while with my boyfriend a few times before, but it was only briefly, so I sort of awkwardly didn’t really address his presence at the time. As big as Chicago is, if it's happened before, I'm sure it'll happen again, and I would really like to be able to handle it better in the future (starting today!).

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

"Hi, Kelly, how are you?

This is Mr. Smith. How are you enjoying the game?"

4. otterpop

otterpop Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2013

I would just say hello. No need to introduce him, unless you want to.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

I would just say: "Hey how's it going? Oh, this is my boyfriend 'Zach'" Or whatever his name is.

Teachers can date if they want to without hiding it. You can tell them 'Mr. Whoever' if you want as well. It depends on how formal you want your relationship with them to be. I require my students to refer to me as Mr. but if I was outside of class I probably would drop some of the formality.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2013

How do you drop the formality? You allow students to call you by your first name outside of school or they just use your last name but with no Mr.?

I don't want any student, current or former, using my first name. I don't even like when my co-workers call me by my first name, it just seems weird. But that is just me.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

I just say, "This is Mr. hisFirstName." Most of the kids recognize him because I have a picture of him on my desk.

(Then sometimes they ask what I'm like at home, and he makes up funny stories about me drowning under piles of their homework.)

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

I just introduce him as First Name. I talk about him sometimes. He shows up in our grammar practice. The kids think it's a hoot.

They don't call him anything really though. Mostly I think they see him as Ms. DG's bf.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

Introduce him as Mr. Lastname. No need to explain the situation.

10. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Nov 18, 2013

This is my friend, Mr. Lastname?

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

My coworkers get jokingly mad at me if I refer to them as Mr. or Mrs. and prefer to be called by their first name.

And if a student called me by my first name outside of school especially if they're a former student, I probably wouldn't mind. I wouldn't invite them to do it but I wouldn't really care.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

I remember when I was in school my teacher's husband came in for something and she said this is so and so by first name. Now YEARS later I still call her Mrs. so and so and him by first name...it seems so odd...but you know what I know I could call her by her first name, but still out of respect because she was my teacher I don't.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

When I was in elementary, I remember having a teacher that called her husband Mr. Jones. That stuck with me so that's how I introduced my then-husband. Now I don't have to worry about it!

14. blazer

blazer Devotee

Nov 19, 2013

I always introduce my wife as Mrs 'Blazer' if we meet kids out. I would also expect them to call her Mrs Blazer when they address her in the same way that they would call me 'Sir' or Mr Blazer. Sometimes they call her 'Miss' as if she were a teacher at the school which amuses her.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

I did have two HS kiddos call me Miss Firstname. They were part of the debate team that I coached and for some reason just started calling me that. They were the only ones that do though. Even though I'm not there anymore, when I see them out they still call me Miss Firstname.

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 22, 2013

When my husband was still my boyfriend I referred to him as my best friend ''John''. I told my kids if he ever came to visit they needed to call him Mr. John because only grown ups should call growns up by their first name.

Now, I introduce him as my husband Mr. (Last Name).

My coworkers who have boyfriends are 50/50, they either do first name when bf visits or Mr. Last Name

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2013

When my husband comes to school, I introduce him as Mr. E because I am Mrs. E. With a boyfriend, I may say Mr. Firstname. If we run across his first name in a story or sentence, I do acknowledge that's my husband's name.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 22, 2013

You are all ready to introduce your husband AND your boyfriend! :eek:

:lol:

19. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 23, 2013

I would just say, "This is my boyfriend, [BF's name]" and leave it at that.

Seriously, why all the Mr. First name, Mr. Last name stuff?:lol:

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Nov 23, 2013

Well, where I live, it would be jaw-droppingly rude for a child to refer to an adult by their first name. I only refer to BF as Mr. first name because he and my (now former) principal had the same last name, and the last thing I needed was some rumor starting that I was dating the P.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 23, 2013

To me it's a matter of respect. My students don't call me by my first name, they call everyone Mr./Ms. Last name. So that's how I introduce my husband. I would do the same if he was only my bf. I don't feel the need to explain the relationship, but maybe that's because we share the last same last name.

If, in my school, we used first names only, that's probably how I would introduce dh.