RTI for a student already on an IEP...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Backroads, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 12, 2019

This has never actually come up before in my career, but my school has what I feel is a very solid RTI system. Today I was sending in some progress monitoring of kids we supposed to be keeping data on... and two of them already have IEPs. One did receive an IEP earlier this year after RTI process, but the other one moved in mid-year with an IEP.

If the purpose of RTI is to better perceive who needs extra help or anything from there and up to the services of a special education, should one still being going through RTI with those already under the SPED umbrella? Does it continue to still be a still-useful process to help the student that just happens to be offically called RTI?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Apr 12, 2019

Is the area being targeted in RTI different than the areas they receive services for through their iep?

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 12, 2019

At my school RTI ends when a student has an IEP because it is assumed that the interventions and accommodations in the IEP will exceed anything that could be done via classroom RTI.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM

Yep. Same target the student is already receiving services for.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:54 PM

That's duplication of effort and makes no sense. It's also pulling time / resources from Title I students who might be able to RESPOND to the interventions instead of needing accommodations.