"Rounds" of hiring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fazed, Jul 9, 2017.

1. fazed

fazed New Member

Jul 9, 2017

I have been applying to positions throughout the summer. I had a few interviews in the spring, a few in early June, but have not heard anything back since then despite applying to anywhere from 4-12 jobs a week. I have heard hiring tends to be done in rounds. Is July usually a slow time for hiring? Do calls typically start up again later? Any information from someone who has been in the field longer would be appreciated -- I'm starting to get fearful about my employment.

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2017

It depends what state you are looking in. Right now is prime time for interviews in NY. School just ended 2 weeks ago. I don't think it really slows down here. Most schools will try and have their vacancies filled by August 7th which is the deadline to transfer within schools inside the NYC public school system. After that date P's go on vacation for 2 weeks and return the last week of August and if they still have vacancies or if someone left to take a job outside of the system that's when the scramble begins and they hire a lot of 1st year teachers. We start school after Labor Day.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2017

There aren't necessarily schedules of rounds. Most admin like to get hiring done as soon as possible. If there are openings in July or August, certainly you will see postings and you should jump right on those, but for the most part anyone who is retiring or leaving pretty much has a required date by which they are supposed to inform their schools. In NJ, it's usually 60 days notice, or July 1 (July starts the new contract year). Sure there are some who announce later (and sometimes there's an unexpected swell in enrollment) and then schools scramble to fill those vacancies. There's no harm in, and in fact is a good idea to, send your resume package/application to EVERY public, private and charter where you would be willing to work in case of those unexpected openings.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 9, 2017

My school is closed in July. If someone resigned at the last minute, interviews would happen the first part of July. If enrollment swelled unexpectedly, it could be possible to have an opening in August or September. If a spouse gets transferred or someone gets extremely ill, an opening could pop up in December or January, but that's not all that common.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 10, 2017

We've only interviewed a little for known vacancies because our district doesn't have budgets yet, even though the fiscal year ended June 30th. :whistle: I think August will have a rush of interviews.