Rounding Fun!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BarnyardCats, Aug 31, 2007.

1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I need some ideas with helping my students understand the concept of rounding. I'm not looking for chants or rhymes, I'm actually looking for hands-on fun activities or games to help with rounding. It's really a difficult concept for most of them, and it can get a little monotonous. Thanks for any ideas!!:)

3. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I teach second grade so we only learn rounding to the tens place, but I do an activity that my students like. I place numbers on the floor, for example 40 through 50, and each student gets a chance to get a number. When they get their number (for example 43), they have to go stand on that number. Then they walk their way both up to the higher ten and down to the lower ten counting their steps along the way to see which one is closer. This helps them understand why we round numbers the way we do because we are actually finding the ten that is closer. This is a good activity because it gets the students up and moving around, and they always seem to learn the concept really well. If you were rounding to a different place like the hundreds then maybe you could modify this activity somehow.

4. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

We just finished this in our class. In the past, it's been a quick review. This year I had to back up and completely reteach it to all but a few kids. I had them draw blank number lines and decide which two numbers the given number was between. ( 53 is between 50 and 60.) They would plot the numbers on the number line and then see which end it is closer to. (50 in the example.) We used the same process to round to hundreds and thousands. It's not really a game, but will help them to get a real visual representation of the concept. Good luck!

5. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I just thought of an idea that I may use if I ever go back to teaching 3rd grade. Use the students to make a number (for example, have 6 students stand up). Show how it is easier to add 4 more kids to make 10 rather than taking away the 6 kids to make 0.