Rough day vent

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Cole_x, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Jan 14, 2013

Just to preface this vent. I am in my second year of teaching a self contained emotionally disturbed K/1 class. Last year I had all K, so this year I have most of my students from last year and some new one's thrown into the mix. My split is 9 first graders and 3 kindergarteners.

This year so far has been insane. The mix of the kids this year just isn't working. I have too many leaders and no followers. Mostly they are defiant, but I have students who are not only defiant but agressive and combative. I am constantly breaking up scuffles in the room. To top it off I have 2 children who scream at the wall that seperates my room from the other room, and yes that teacher hears the screaming.

The rest of the program is located at another school, I'm by myself because there was no room. Because I am all by myself, I have none of the resources that the other school has such as a seperate area that the students can calm down it. I try to talk to the head of my program but because this person is rarely there I don't get the advice needed.

I am constantly going to my principal for help with this bunch and she is great but I feel like I am asking for too much at times. I feel like I have no sort of control when I do, they are improving but some days it;s like a circus. In the past year I have been hit, kicked, and bitten countless times. I almost had the tip of my finger bitten off, and my hair has been pulled so many times that I now wear my hair in a tight bun and hairspray it to my head.

I'm exhausted.

I'm sorry about the vent. and advice? or words of wisdom

3. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 14, 2013

You don't have an aide? Really, there needs to be two teachers in that room! :( I'm sorry you're in this situation . ...At least they aren't bigger than you :) I would not be able to do what you do. I probably would quit :/

4. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 14, 2013

Does ANY positive reinforcement work??

Food?

5. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Jan 14, 2013

I have 2 assistants and they're a godsend. One is a one on one and the other is my classroom aide. What I meant by I'm alone is that the rest of the staff in my program is located in other areas.

Positive reinforcement does work with some of them. I do use candy and food so at least something works. I have too many different behaviors. The screamers set off the aggressive ones. The combative one's set off the screamers. Like I said, it's a circus.

But I do have to say, that since September there has been progress. Slow, but we are inching forward.

Sometimes I just need to hear that it'll be okay and get a pat on the back. :-/

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2013

I have no practical advice for you whatsoever, Cole_x - but here's a heartfelt hug. And congratulations on the progress you do see!

7. countryteacher

countryteacher Rookie

Jan 24, 2013

Here's a big hug. I only have ONE little one with aggression and she wears me out!!! And I have an aide. Celebrate the small successes!

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jan 25, 2013

It will be ok! You have done it for this long, and you can finish out the year. If they've made any amount of progress since September, think of where they'll be by the end of the year. You're moving in the right direction.