Room surprises!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by agdamity, Jul 31, 2007.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

Next time he's just standing around watching, tell him you need him to move some things around or you need something repaired. That'll get him to STAY AWAY!! :lol: (since he had the nerve to stand there watching you move desks, he doesn't sound like the wonderful janitors that do those things for us)!

2. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

Last year, one day when I was teaching guided reading and the kids were in centers one of my kids said, "There's bugs!"

I thought they must be ants. We get ants sometimes.

They were TERMITES and they were swarming.

The fun new game that day was stomp the termite.

I didn't know what to do, so I just filled the hole in the wall with Elmer's glue.

Don't know if they died, but they didn't come back! :)

Kelly

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Alright, I was planning on going in tomorrow and now I don't want to! All these stories creeped me out! My school is new to me, so I am not sure what to expect. I am hoping all of the third grade stuff is moved out since I need to start unpacking and I have to find someone to help me move all of the previous first grade teachers stuff into my room.

4. lorac

lorac Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I am hoping for a projector!! I teach computer classes and a projector hooked up to my computer would be SO nice. Still waiting to hear if we have enough students enrolled to afford it.

5. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 1, 2007

That sounds like one of the custodians at my school. He's an older guy and is always lurking around and chatting me up, just like a creepy old man hitting on a young girl. I just smile and try to ignore him, since I'm not bold enough to tell him to get lost. (Especially since he will move things when I ask him to.)

There haven't been any surprises in my room. The custodians took everything out, cleaned, and put it all back in. They put my desk in the wrong place (at the front of the room right in front of the chalkboard), but it's not that big a deal. I'll just have Mr. Flirts-With-Young-Women move it. :lol:

6. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I went in today to get my key and drop off a few items I had bought over the summer and I found dead crickets and roaches all around my classroom. It was nasty!!! And one of my computers was missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Last summer the ceiling collapsed after a heavy rainstorm and there was water all over the hall. It was about an inch from my door. If it would have gone further onto the tile and sat there, they would have had to replace the tile. Because of the asbestos in the tile, I would have had to be out of my room for awhile without any of my stuff, because it would have been infected and need to be cleaned! AUGH! So glad we don't have the roach problem!

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

When I taught in California, I used to have black widow spiders in my cupboard. Needless to say I didn't use that cupboard or let me my kids any where near it! They wouldn't spray, etc... So garbage about safety, etc. I took matters into my own hands and sprayed every time there was a web!

9. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Well, now my cockroach problem doesn't sound too bad! Spiders, snakes, caved in ceilings, and unplugged refrigerators -:eek:

I did get a can of raid and put some big cockroach baits all around my room (I'll take these up before the students get there). Of course these things are all against "district policy" but if they're not going to treat the problem then I will!

10. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

That is the MOST DISGUSTING thing I can imagine. I am so freaked out by maggots that the whole refrigerator would have had to go in the dumpster. ICK! ICK! ICK!

Anyway, a teacher-friend of mine got an interesting surprise when we returned last summer. There was construction on the building during the summer months which left dust EVERYWHERE. Well, the lid to one of her storage containers had rather large footprints on it...not large enough to belong to a dog or cat, but definitely bigger than a mouse or squirrel. Fortunately, the visitor didn't leave behind any calling cards so he must not have stayed very long.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Yuck! I can't handle live critters anyplace-no matter where they are unless it is my dog! ;)

12. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

And I just remembered something that happened to another teacher last year. The fire extinguisher in her trailer exploded and all of her stuff got covered in muck. Someone from the county custodial department had to come out and clean it all up before she returned.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Carrying that computer off is probably what killed all those critters.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I haven't had any "exciting little" surprises this year, it's strange, but the only thing I have found are soda cans from the workers who were in my room. Normally however nice the school is, after a summer's time, there are some bugs, and I haven't seen any yet.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Oops, my post referred to Silver Rain's on page one.

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

My husband owns a pest control company. He loves this idea, cheaper than than the usual poison. :lol:

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

HMMMMM.... I'm thinking it was the roaches...the dead ones left behind were HUGE.... :lol:
    ;) you know what they say: Everything's bigger in Texas...