Room surprises!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by agdamity, Jul 31, 2007.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

We were finally allowed back in our building today, so I headed up to school to start cleaning/organizing etc. What was the first thing I noticed upon entering my classroom? Dead bugs ALL OVER the floor!!!:eek: The janitors decided it was time to clean out the light fixtures over the summer, so all those dead bugs landed on my floor--they just forgot to sweep them up! I spent a good 20 minutes sweeping before I did anything else!
    What surprises have you had coming back from summer?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

That is so gross!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

I would so not be sweeping up bugs....:eek:

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

Well in my classroom, they knocked down the outside wall to put up a new wall adjacent to the new building and putting up new light fixtures. I walked into my room last week to get some supplies and was able to write my name in dirt on my desk. Since I have another month before I go back, I can't wait to see how well they clean my classroom before school starts!!

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I would have been showing the principal the dead bugs all over my stuff. That's not part of your job. Ick!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

I did inform my principal about the bugs, but I took care of it myself or they would still be there! It takes a miracle to get the janitors at my school to actually clean anything. I had a fire ant problem for 2 years because the janitor just swept the anthill to the back of my extra closet and we didn't find it until the end of the year last year :( At least those are gone too!

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

Blech!

My surprise was I had an old rickety set of cabinets taken out of my room. I had been told it probably wouldn't happen. I sweet talked the maintenance ppl before school was out, so I had my fingers crossed they would get to it.

I also had a new air conditioning system put in. It is sooooo quiet! Before I couldn't teach with the air on because it was so loud.

9. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I've got huge cockroaches all over my room. Most of them are dead, but still! I'll open a cabinet and more than likely find one. Our hallway is infested! One teacher has sweep up around 100. And the janitor said there's some money issue so the bug sprayers haven't been coming cause they're not getting paid. I HATE roaches!!!

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

ewwwwwwwww I am glad I don't work at your school. I'm allergic to cockroaches. It's even one of the things that is in my serum for my allergy shots.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

Gross. You can get pretty strong insect spray at Wal Mart for about $7 for a huge container with a sprayer. That's what I would do.

My surprise was a good one. As I pulled in, guys were cleaning out a storage unit at the end of my building and I saw a round table and claimed it. I'm going to trade in a rectangular one for it.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

If you can get the Bengal bug spray, do so -- it works great!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I had a bunch of crickets in my room. It's a new building, but they did spray for the first time last week so maybe I won't have any more bugs. There were also some snakes in the cafeteria, but thankfully, I didn't see them. I'm not a fan of snakes!

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

I think my suprise is going to be that my room is the cleanest it's ever been! At least that's my hope. Our school has a custodial staff of 3, and two of them left. The new ones, when I visited my room a couple of weeks ago, were actually on thier hands and knees, scraping goop from the corners in my hallway. That's a loooonnnnnggg way from the last couple of summers, when no one even vaccuumed my room - I left certain scraps of paper and paper clips, etc, in strategic places so that I could check on whether it's really been cleaned, and they were still there in August.

Bugs. Gross. Yucky. EWWWW.
    Kim

15. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

Wow! I will count my blessings. I have been in to school periodically over the summer working on things and all is well. Our janitor is awesome. He even agreed to help me this summer by feeding the fish in my aquarium every day. That way I didn't have to go in all the time to do it. I will most definitely be leaving a plate of brownies in his mailbox in the office! (Wrapped well so as not to encourage any bugs!!!) It never hurts to use bribery. :)

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

Snakes in the cafeteria! That sounds like a better movie than snakes on a plane.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

I'm sick of theses #@$!@# snakes in this $#@#% cafeteria!

:whistle:

18. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I am going to drop by school today after my daughter's swimming lessons. I don't think there will be any major surprises, since one of the other 4th grade teachers called me yesterday to give me an update on the school. They painted the whole school AND we got new floors! No more stinky, musty carpet!! On top of that, the 4th grade wing got cubbies that will be installed (maybe not until after school starts :( ) to keep the kids' books and things in and we also got brand new desks (which are expected to be moved into our rooms next week). All of the "newness" really makes me excited to go back to work.

19. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

The janitors unplugged my fridge with some food still in it, I smelled it when I opened the door (only two weeks since I teach summer school) and the flies were EVERYWHERE in my room. The fridge was full of maggots. I barfed :(

I have also had the cockroach problem and the ant problem, but that's why I keep Raid at school.

One summer a tall book case of my mysteriously toppled, sending everything in an arc around the room. Glad I wasn't in front of it!

20. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

I'm a first year teacher, so I don't really know what my school is like more than just when I've gone this summer. However, I do know that the head custodian is creeeeeepy. Just one of those guys who's overly friendly and talks non-stop while you're trying to work. He stood in my door way the other day and watched me move my desks around.... just creeeepy... I like they other custodians, they're women and very very nice.

21. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

I have never had any major problems when coming back to school. We have a checklist that we have to complete before leaving and on it is cleaning out the fridge and things that may go bad. I haven't been in my room yet this year. We don't start until Aug. 28 so I am trying to enjoy the rest of the summer. We have classes starting the 13th so I'll probably go in that week. It usually takes me a couple of days to put things together. I have been doing some things at home and gettting little things here and there but nothing major. Just trying to get through the professional books I wanted to read this summer.